• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to choose your first pocket square?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assume that you have some suits and odd jackets in different colours. Also, shirts and ties. You never wore a pocket square because you were afraid to be (obviously erronously) taken for a snob. Then, one day, you decide to give it a try (maybe it is the rebel within you)! So you want to get a pocket square to see what it actually feels like using one. You may consider getting one that will go with your favourite suit, the one that you will use on occasions on which you want to look especially elegent (and, of course, you are fully aware of the fact that on those occasions, you should not put on your derby shoes/blüchers).
So, how do you choose this "pioneer" PS?
a- I guess that if you use silk ties, it should be a silk PS, right?
b- Are there any size issues?
c- Should it be the same colour as the tie?
d- Should it, however, have at least a slightly different shade?
e- I guess that having tie and PS with the same colour and pattern would be too much, right?
f- Any PS sprezzatura issues?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your first?

White linen.

cuffthis

Reaction score
just do it, don't think about it.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
g: buy a white linen square from AlanC. It's the perfect starter.

As for some of the questions: The silk square/silk tie combo is common, but sometimes it's nice to have a contrast in fabrics; large squares can often be bulky stuffed in a pocket -- bigger isn't better; it's good for the square to pick up colors in your clothing, but those colors needn't be solely from your tie; and matching square and tie (both in the exact same pattern) is the ultimate in cheese.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
g: buy a white linen square from AlanC. It's the perfect starter.
Thanks for the plug, but I'm shipping out the last from this batch today.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Assume that you have some suits and odd jackets in different colours. Also, shirts and ties. You never wore a pocket square because you were afraid to be (obviously erronously) taken for a snob. Then, one day, you decide to give it a try (maybe it is the rebel within you)! So you want to get a pocket square to see what it actually feels like using one. You may consider getting one that will go with your favourite suit, the one that you will use on occasions on which you want to look especially elegent (and, of course, you are fully aware of the fact that on those occasions, you should not put on your derby shoes/blüchers).
So, how do you choose this "pioneer" PS?
a- I guess that if you use silk ties, it should be a silk PS, right?
b- Are there any size issues?
c- Should it be the same colour as the tie?
d- Should it, however, have at least a slightly different shade?
e- I guess that having tie and PS with the same colour and pattern would be too much, right?
f- Any PS sprezzatura issues?
Thanks in advance for your help!

a: No, not necessarily. Especially with a suit, I prefer linen - it creates a bit more contrast and helps to avoid the "too closely matching" problem. But either will work, and I certainly don't think the tie and square need to be of the same material.
b: The only real size issue is that if it's too big it'll make pocket puffy. Purely a matter of personal preference, though.
c: No. Complementary, not matching. White linen goes with most things.
d:: Yes, at a minimum.
E: Generally yes.
f: This question is self-defeating. If you're worrying about whether it's sprezzatura, it isn't.
I agree with Doc and Concordia that your first should be white linen, and that Alan is a good source.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Your first?

White linen.

Seconded. (Or rather thirded or something the like...) I did so as well (not too long ago) have by now two others (of which I have only one worn once).
The white one just always looks terrific. And if you fold it to a square it is not too loud as well. I also was a little afraid at the beginning (especially here in Germany where it is anyway far too easy to be the best dressed at e.g. the theatre) so I took the square and was perfectly satisfied.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Too bad, that was a good SF resource. Just got mine yesterday, and am very pleased. Thanks, Alan.
Thanks, I'm glad it arrived and that you liked it. I will try to round up more of these, but I'm not sure when that will happen.

For a second square, consider a patterned blue silk (or linen). I find my blue squares get a lot of use.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with white linen and then a dark red (maroon?) silk.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These white, handrolled linen squares are awesome. FNB seal of approval.
smile.gif

http://www.givans.co.uk/catalog/16

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Are these priced by the gross?

The bottom two selections are by the dozen, yes. The third to last might be a way to get your toe wet. Sorry, I always buy them by the dozen.
inlove.gif

They have a good heft to them, a good size, well rolled and they are worth the price. I get the rolled ones at the very bottom.

raley

Reaction score
Maybe try some Kent Wang pocket squares.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads