• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Choose When to Make a Purchase?

Tristan.sf

Reaction score
How do you figure out what clothing is most essential to acquire first, and when to spend or to save? Do you buy:
  1. Because you want something
  2. Because you need something
For example, although I already have some versatile clothing in my wardrobe, there are still loads of things to get (e.g., suit, trench coat..etc.). I've found several pairs of chelsea boots that I like, but I don't know if this is the best thing I should buy right now, because, as a high school student, I can only afford a few splurges throughout the year. In short, what are some of the best items that I should buy?

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tristan.sf
How do you figure out what clothing is most essential to acquire first, and when to spend or to save? Do you buy:
For example, although I already have some versatile clothing in my wardrobe, there are still loads of things to get (e.g., suit, trench coat..etc.). I've found several pairs of chelsea boots that I like, but I don't know if this is the best thing I should buy right now, because, as a high school student, I can only afford a few splurges throughout the year. In short, what are some of the best items that I should buy?

Why do you need to dress so well while you're only in high school?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make a list of what you need and want, prioritize it, and estimate the high end of what you want to spend on it. Then you go down the list, looking for the best deals for each thing you can find.

Tristan.sf

Reaction score
laugh.gif
Originally Posted by Nicola
Either you don't remember high school or this was you http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...xMA05jMSciAbkO

Expressions Realia

Reaction score
I want to dress well simply for my own pleasure, and because there's no time like the present to look good.

You, Tristan.sf, get it. I wish I had your interest when I was younger.
I can say when I look to purchase items I look for uniqueness. You can only have so many needs, before they become wants. When I am buying for wants, I try to avoid buying the same thing in variations (ie. desert boot in 12 colors-like-nike-sb's) I try to mix it up, and buy a truly unique item to my wardrobe each time.

Also as stated above, go for what is most needed, rather than what is there at the time. try to avoid lust shopping (which is hard) lol. Good luck!

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to dress well simply for my own pleasure, and because there's no time like the present to look good.

that is deep

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is no reson not to dress well regardless of age.

figure out what you need and within that category get what you want.
eg. if you need shoes spend time finding the ones you want the most and get them if its financially feasable, buying strictly for want with limited funds is usually inadvisable, especially if you end up with something that spends most of the time in the closet

good luck, dress sharp

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A need will always be more important than a want.
Since you are in highschool, don't worry about competing with others over clothes because there will always be someone who will have more resources than you.
Rather, make sensible choices for core items that you need and develop some skills in putting combinations together with what you have in those core items.
If your friends can't respect you for who you are, then it's time to choose new friends.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Since you are in highschool, don't worry about competing with others over clothes because there will always be someone who will have more resources than you.

If your friends can't respect you for who you are, then it's time to choose new friends.

reg. point 1.
thankfully not everyone with resourses has taste so while they have more they wont look better as you get older this will become more apparent

reg. point 2.
very true youll be a happier person if you can do that

glimmerskin

Reaction score
Buy things when you need them. Remember this can have a very subjective definition. You might NEED new underwear, that is a bare necessity. You might need a new pair of shoes to extend the range of your wardrobe. Looking good is very important. see the difference?

when you buy something you need be sure that if fulfills your personal wants as far as that item is concerned. budget permitting, get something a little extra. When buying a wardrobe item also make sure you have the tools necessary to take care of it (a cashmere brush, mink oil, a properly sized hanger)

when buying something you simply want, like a cashmere handkerchief just be sure that it fits into your budget, you'll have call to wear it and that it is what you really want.

EDIT; also don't let any salespeople talk you into anything. seperate the facts from persuasion. shop around. don't be afraid to take a stand and say "I have to shop around"

Its also nice when you find a brand you love or a retailer that usually stocks things you love and stick with them.

Raralith

Reaction score
1. Need before greed
Buy what you need and use before you buy something you don't use very often; e.g., buying a trenchcoat in Los Angeles where it rarely rains over a pair of burgundy shoes where you have none.

2. Buy what you can afford, afford more if it is on sale
There's no point in buying what you can't afford so don't shoot for the moon. Now, if something goes on sale though, raise your standards if it still fits your budget.

That being said, this is from hindsight for me albiet, I make a lot more money than the nothing I did in high school. Which, brings me to the next point which is reality - you'll grow, your clothing won't fit, I hope you don't buy Brioni now. Set your budget low, save the money now for alcohol and women in college, a truely worthwhile expense in my opinion. That's where I met my wife, and as nice as $2,000 shoes are, it doesn't put breakfast on the table, damn good breakfast too. Lunch and dinner included. Damn good lunch and dinner too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads