• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to catch a housefly and other winged insects

charliesierra

Reaction score
Yes I also employ the dishtowel attack. It's fast enough to knock them out of the air while stunning them long enough to beat holy bejeezus out of the little buggers, never fails. Of course then you have to wash your dishtowel.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No one else used the fly gun? I know Manton and I have.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did actually have one when I was a kid. I just shot my brother with it.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
I did actually have one when I was a kid. I just shot my brother with it.

Did you shoot him in the fly?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Did you shoot him in the fly?

There's a good chance I did.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Then there's a good chance you were using it for its intended purpose.
nod[1].gif

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score

I just hope it wasn't a fly-by-night attack.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
I used my grandmother. In Portugal my family lives in the countryside and as a result, there are many flies. Any time there was one in my room I'd call her and shed smack it out of the air like nothing! I, on the other hand, would try and always miss. I swear to you, that little woman was a killing machine. She'd kill flies, but also if I wanted to eat rabbit or chicken, she would kill those herself.
lol8[1].gif
I really should call them soon.

aerether

Reaction score
Once, I raised my hand on the subway to grab the overhead bar, and neatly pinched a fly between two of my fingers, disabling it (it kept twitching, though, until I put it out of its misery with the toe of my sneaker)... it was hard to tell who was more surprised, me or the fly.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One time on a business trip to India...

We were in the conference room of this company and there were a couple of flies. The president of the company rings a bell and their Nepalese servant comes running in. The president mumbles a few words to him and he took off around the room after the flies as we carried on our meeting. It seemed very normal for them.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aerether
Once, I raised my hand on the subway to grab the overhead bar, and neatly pinched a fly between two of my fingers, disabling it (it kept twitching, though, until I put it out of its misery with the toe of my sneaker)... it was hard to tell who was more surprised, me or the fly.

i had something like this happen a couple of times in my life too. i just raise my hand up for something and my two fingers close for some reason i did, and coincidentally a fly gets caught between my fingers! was very coincidental was like a one in a billion chance of such thing happening.

on another unrelated note, it happened again long ago when i had an action figure collection, and they were all on my window sill, and one of them fell down to my bed below 3 feet, and it landed square on its feet! on the mattress! and it wasnt like a plank under its feet like a toy plastic army soldier would have but just one of those action figures like gi joe or star wars or something. i called my brother in to have him look at what fantastical thing just happened but he never believed me, he always thinks i just placed it there.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing I noticed is that the flies in North America are slow and clumsy vs the ones you find in Asia.

Must be the food they are snacking on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads