• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to catch a housefly and other winged insects

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only trick I knew was to clap with open fingers otherwise your hands clapping will create a wind that will force the fly outwards.

Once my apt had these monster flies coming out of the walls. They were just huge, like flying pencil erasers. I got so pissed I could literally punch some of them out of the air. I got a little too carried away and broke one of my windows.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of these: electric zapper. Works every time, and the zapping noise is an added bonus.
41d16r41k0lss400.jpg

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon
cup with lid
fill cup with apple cider vinegar + tiny bit of dishwashing liquid
poke small hole in lid

watch.

I do something similar to this, but I do it without the lid/with some water mixed in. What is the benefit of the lid?

It's actually pretty cool - the vinegar attracts them, and they get stuck in the water because the soap breaks the surface tension.

Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
One of these: electric zapper. Works every time, and the zapping noise is an added bonus.

41d16r41k0lss400.jpg

I have one of these - it's really a lot more fun than it should be.

Agnacious

Reaction score
I usually use a spray bottle on a wide dispersion pattern. It wets their wings and they can't fly, and you don't have to get too close.

Casey

Reaction score
Over the summer, I was outside painting my patio and I used one of those large paint mixing sticks to smash a fly. I hit it so hard, there was red splatter everywhere. I didn't know flies could bleed like that.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flatulence rules all.

Hayling

Reaction score
I hear Obama is pretty good at killing insects.

centrix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn

41d16r41k0lss400.jpg

this is the most rewarding way to kill them

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
I read once that since flies tend to take off backwards, if you clap your hands a few inches above and behind one, you'll catch it. It works more times than not. Of course, it's messy.

I do a variation of that method. Instead of clapping, I swat/grab with one hand. Then you can either squeeze it to death and throw it on the table to look like a badass or let it go outside to look like a *****.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
I do a variation of that method. Instead of clapping, I swat/grab with one hand. Then you can either squeeze it to death and throw it on the table to look like a badass or let it go outside to look like a *****.

That's what I do. Sometimes, I shake it and let it go and yell "Drunk fly!"

EnglishGent

Reaction score
There was actually a study done that concluded flies have a specific pattern they follow when flying away. For example if you were to swing at a fly from infront, it would always fly off in the same direction, likewise if you were to swing from the left it would always fly away in a different pre-determined direction.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
That works very well with fruitflies. Never tried it with flies.

I did catch a fly with honey once. The vinegar didn't seem to work:

Nothing like reinforcing basic truisms!!

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
That's what I do. Sometimes, I shake it and let it go and yell "Drunk fly!"

Haha, I didn't know you could do that. I'll have to try that one.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There're some micro miniature airplanes made of ultra-light material, then you glue a comatased fly or flies to the plane. When the flies wake up, watch the plane takes off. Very cool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads