• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to care for raw denim

zacharydschroeder

Reaction score
I purchased unwashed Levi's Skinners about two months ago. I have not washed them yet. I've probably worn them 15 or 16 times. They are starting to show some wear, but mostly the indigo is just turning brighter at the stress points. That means when I wash them (in a few months), those are the points where the indigo will not hold and it will be extra faded there after I wash? All those Nudies on their website were worn unwashed for a long time, but the real high levels of distress come from the first wash after constant wear, right?
I plan to wear my jeans a while before I wash them, but if I wash them cold will they come out of the wash not even looking faded? Could I just shower with them on instead so they hold a good fit?

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
you are wise to seek the information of this forum, young grasshopper. but there are so many questions and so little time. With one click of your mouse, you shall find the answers to all that you seek.

*music swells*

I GIVE YOU..... the search function. Treat it well and let it lead the way, it will show you all the beauty you possess inside and t'will give you a sense of pride.

Reaction score
wash when intolerably dirty; hang dry; wear frequently

adjust according to nerdiness

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
my redloops are cooler than your skinners zach

zacharydschroeder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
my redloops are cooler than your skinners zach

oh yeah?? We'll just have to compare when you're in town. You may be forgetting I have the Skinny Reds that may or may not look like your Red Loops. Oh, by the way, most Red Loops are dry, so don't wash them. Now you can take some strain off your Rustlers, eh?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
yeah dude, i am going until September 28 w/ my rustlers
and November 1 with my new Red Loops

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can basically do whatever you want. But arent those pre-washed? If so, there is no real reason to wash it before it gets dirty.

no_pseudonym

Reaction score
Levi's recommends dry-cleaning their raw denim, or else it might end up shrinking too much.

lowrey

Reaction score
just wear them regularly and wash when you really need to. people go from a month to a year without washing, its just personal preference.

fading is caused by wear and washing might bring it out a bit, but from my experience with various jeans the effect a wash gives is not that dramatic. use mild detergant and wash them in cold or warm.

jingco

Reaction score
Here's a video of me washing my raw denim after wearing it for 18 months.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

And we posted the instructions, details, and photos here: How to wash your raw denim jeans

Hope it helps!

ss10guy3

Reaction score
Some guys here will recommend against it, but I dry clean once a month because I'm too lazy to hand wash. It's worked great so far.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by travisttt
Some guys here will recommend against it, but I dry clean once a month because I'm too lazy to hand wash. It's worked great so far.
It's bad for the planet, for you, and not particularly good for your jeans.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KennyGhetzoff
you are wise to seek the information of this forum, young grasshopper. but there are so many questions and so little time. With one click of your mouse, you shall find the answers to all that you seek. *music swells* I GIVE YOU..... the search function. Treat it well and let it lead the way, it will show you all the beauty you possess inside and t'will give you a sense of pride.
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
wash when intolerably dirty; hang dry; wear frequently adjust according to nerdiness
lulz
Originally Posted by no_pseudonym
Levi's recommends dry-cleaning their raw denim, or else it might end up shrinking too much.
Okay, ante up. Show me where it say that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads