• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How to care for new shoes?

ssasson

Reaction score
I'm a new member of SF, but I have been following the forums for over a year. I just purchased my first pair of Allen Edmonds, and I'm not familiar with how to care for them right out of the box. As my first pair of quality dress shoes, I would like to maximize their lifespan, and avoid any potentially life-altering mistakes. I have searched SF for any related threads on caring for brand new shoes, but cannot seem to find much.

My question is: Should I treat new shoes any differently than worn-in shoes? Should I clean, condition, and polish them right out of the box prior to wearing? Perhaps only one or two of the steps?

Not sure if it makes a difference, but the products I plan to use for the shoes are AE Conditoner/Cleaner, Melatonian Shoe Cream, and Saphir Wax Polish.

ssasson

Reaction score
Is the Renovateur significantly better than the AE Cleaner/Conditioner that I already have? I have also read Lexol is a good product.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy shoe trees, and (if applicable) keep the shoes in the flannel bags that they came with. When you take the shoes off, put the shoe trees in. I like the AE conditioner.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%