• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to buy good gloves?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an addendum to the "how to buy a good scarf" thread, what about gloves?

All I have right now is a pair of blue-gray fleece gloves from Columbia. If I upgrade from the hooded sweatshirt look (unfortunately, my favored traveling layer, which I consider a lesser evil than the beanie when my ears are freezing), I imagine I'll need gloves to match.

Aristocrat

Reaction score
I would go with regular gloves with either alpacka linning or cashmere, and a nice fur hat with ear muffs(Mink or rabbit fur)

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even just ear muffs (no hat) would be good.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup. You'll be able to buy them everywhere as the fall progresses.

stach

Reaction score
Even leather with Thinsulate will help you for just a year.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a plain brown or black leather pair with a thinsulate lining. Cashmere feels nice but I wouldn't spend too much on gloves (< $50). I lose at least 3-4 pair/year forgetting them in cabs, subway... This year, I was very proud of myself because I managed to not lose a pair all winter and then I lost 2 pairs in a week in March
mad.gif
As a punishment, I did not buy another pair and spend the remaining weeks of winter with cold hands.

btw jose, the thing I said about hats (i.e. forget about them) does NOT apply to gloves. Gloves, even cheapo ones, are essential in winter.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the poster that gloves are so easy to lose that spending much is maybe not the way to go. However, the kid gloves with cashmere lining or silk lining are just feel to good to past up--same with shearling gloves.
Saks, RL Polo, NM, etc appear to have the best quality selection. Though waiting until Dec or Jan you can get them at half price or better.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I'm in a position to wait till December, though.

Last trip, I picked up a pair of cashmere-lined ones for $20 in Filene's. MADE IN THE PHILIPPINES, sheesh. But a friend's dog grabbed one and I couldn't find it before I left.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your hands are hard to fit, consider Chester Jefferies MTM. The quality is very nice for the price.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a nice pair of leather gloves with either a cashmere/wool lining, or rabbit fur lining. If they make shearling gloves with the leather on the outside and the fur in the inside, those would probably keep your mitts really warm.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Get a nice pair of leather gloves with either a cashmere/wool lining, or rabbit fur lining.
Anyone recommend anything from sierratradingpost.com?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just go to a store in Boston and buy some freaking gloves. It is not a difficult task. Neither is buying a scarf.

It is incredible how much patience people around here have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads