• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How To Button A Suit?

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
With two button jackets only the top button is fastened.

With three button jackets, you can close the middle, or middle and top button. Some suits are made so that the lapels roll to the middle button. On those suits you leave the top button unfastened. Some East Coast hipsters fasten only the top of three buttons.

Single-breasted jackets bottom buttons are never buttoned.

You can unbutton a single breasted jacket when you are sitting.

Double-breasted jackets are never unbuttoned in public. (English tailors call buttons that are not intended to ever be fastened an "idle" button).

Why never button the bottom button of your single-breasted sports jacket, vest or Cardigan sweater?

King Edward VII, "Bertie", son of Victoria (1841 - 1910, King 1901 - 1910) was so heavy that he could not get the bottom button fastened on his vest. His subjects, taking it as a fashion statement, followed his lead and today no man's sports or suit jacket, or vest is designed to button at the bottom button.

A gentleman does not remove his jacket in public.

Andy

Execwolf

Reaction score
Well, if I can add my two cents here (and this is JUST opionion): I think a guy shouldn't button the jacket of a three-piece suit at all. Getting the tailoring of the bottom of the vest to meet the top of the pants just right is an art, and when done properly it is about as slick and dapper as a suit can get (of course this is assuming that the gentleman knows not to ruin the line of the suit by wearing a belt with the 3-piece, this is a time for braces). Many of the pictures I see from the days when most suits had vests rarely show men with the jacket buttoned--suppose you had a nice pocket watch and fob, is it supposed to be hidden by the coat; and wouldn't the watch create a bit of a bulge that would ruin the line of the buttoned coat? When I am wearing one of my two, 3-piece suits I like the fact that it adds additional presence and authority, but also allows me a greater range of movement as I am able too keep my coat open as the vest keeps my tie neat and under control (when wearing a 2-piece I almost always button the coat when standing, I don't want the bottom of my tie flapping about like a dog's tongue when trying to make an impression.)
tounge.gif
. I don't want to put-off any guys who button the coat of their 3-piece suits, but I find the look a bit stuffy if it has a 3-button suit coat with a high stance. A low stance 2-button looks OK to me, but I still would generally not button it. Good luck at your dinner...it's nice to know a young guy has enough taste to purchase a 3-piece for a special occasion and has the presence of mind to seek information to get the ettiquite correct.

Patrick11

Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for all your help. It's greatly appreciated. I left the jacket unbuttoned, and took it off at dinner. The atmosphere was pretty laid back, so it was no biggie. I left the vest on at dinner and left the bottom button undone. Thanks again for all your help.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, my kid will enter elementary school in a couple of weeks and it is the tradition here in Japan for kids to wear a suit on the first day. We got my son a simple 3-button navy blue suit.

Last night we had a try-on and my son did up all 3 buttons of the jacket. I told him that he should only button the top 2...that the bottom button is never buttoned. Never.

He, as 6-year-olds are supposed to do, questioned this logic with a resounding, "Why?". I told him that it was the tradition. He responded, "Why is it the tradition?".

I told him to shut up and trust me, and that when he gets older he can join "StyleForvm" to learn things for himself.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh jesus here come the zombies.

MLIW

Reaction score
The middle button without fail...
anything else i guess if its cold you might want to do them all up
wink.gif

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bergdorf Goodwill
No, it's way better to rumple your jacket horribly.

If you unbutton anything, you'll really piss off the group of 170 year olds dining adjacent to you.

gosh.. whats the line of clothing for 170 year old centerian-geriatrics?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3-button coat then button middle one - not all three and not any other selection.

On the waistcoat/vest you should leave the bottom button unfastened.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
So, my kid will enter elementary school in a couple of weeks and it is the tradition here in Japan for kids to wear a suit on the first day. We got my son a simple 3-button navy blue suit.

Last night we had a try-on and my son did up all 3 buttons of the jacket. I told him that he should only button the top 2...that the bottom button is never buttoned. Never.

He, as 6-year-olds are supposed to do, questioned this logic with a resounding, "Why?". I told him that it was the tradition. He responded, "Why is it the tradition?".

I told him to shut up and trust me, and that when he gets older he can join "StyleForvm" to learn things for himself.

i had not noticed that this is in fact a revival of an ancient thread: So to actually deal with that resurrection - Is this not silly expensive overkill - why have something for one day only at that age?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
This thread is almost 4 years old.
laugh.gif

Yea, I know
laugh.gif
I thought it would be more fun to necropost this as the topic has been covered so many times. I actually didn't realize that so many people are oblivious to dates. I always start reading a thread from the most recent post and then read backwards. Oh well..this one will probably die down soon.

Originally Posted by GBR
i had not noticed that this is in fact a revival of an ancient thread: So to actually deal with that resurrection - Is this not silly expensive overkill - why have something for one day only at that age?

Well, silly overkill or not, it is the custom here. That being said, the suit was passed down from a friend; we didn't pay anything for it.

Cas Ruffin

Reaction score
When I'm wearing a three-piece suit, I like to button the middle buttons and leave the top and bottom unbottoned. That's just how I like it. I think it depends on what you're chest size is and all that though.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter

you are so cruel to your son...

dont you know plain navy 3 button suits are out of fashion now? especially midget sizes, they only roll to the top button.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Execwolf
I think a guy shouldn't button the jacket of a three-piece suit at all. Getting the tailoring of the bottom of the vest to meet the top of the pants just right is an art, and when done properly it is about as slick and dapper as a suit can get

I was waiting on someone to say that. I never button the jacket of a 4 piece, it defeats the purpose of the vest IMO.

Originally Posted by Execwolf
(of course this is assuming that the gentleman knows not to ruin the line of the suit by wearing a belt with the 3-piece, this is a time for braces).

Is this really true? I was taught always to wear a belt with suits, even if the waist fits perfectly, and that doing without is the equivalent of buttoning the bottom button. Is it really not suggested to wear a belt with a 3 piece?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads