1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How to "butch up" my leather jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RainCityClotheshound, Mar 11, 2002.

1. RainCityClotheshound

RainCityClotheshound Well-Known Member

Gentlemen,I need your help. Some time ago,I purchased a two-toned oxblood/light red racer-style motorcycle jacket from Kenneth Cole; an impulse buy I now regret. The first time I wore the jacket out,one of my guy friends joked that I looked like Michael Jackson.I haven't worn it since.It was a relatively expensive purchase,and I'd like to be able to get some use out of it. I was originally drawn to both the style and the color of the jacket;now I feel like I need to find a sequined glove,white socks,and penny loafers to spin around in.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might "butch up" this jacket? E.g., I've considered "weathering" it with sandpaper.Or dying parts of it black.Or, I could surrender and sell it on eBay.

What do you think?

2. Abe2

Abe2 Well-Known Member

The best way to weather a leather jacket is to go to a waltwater beach, dunk the jacket in the saltwater for about ten minutes, hang dry it, and buff it with leather "Restorer" - the restorer won't really work, but afterwards, the jacket will have a lovely tough-guy appearance.

Warning: if your jacket has beautiful soft sheep leather, the softness will be a memory after this treatment.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

At Queen's University in Canada, the engineering students would break in their leather jackets (called GPAs - Golden Party Armor) by going around campus hitting their jackets on the pavement and on the limestone buildings. The result: a jacket that looked like its been through years of hard living.

1 person likes this.
  4. RainCityClotheshound

RainCityClotheshound Well-Known Member

Thank you for your suggestions,gentlemen. I appreciate your help. [​IMG]