• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to break through a work out plateau?

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i have seen people who claim to squat 600+ barely bend their knees.
blush.gif
blush.gif
I think that is me!

But I thought you were not supposed to go down all the way? In my gym there is this Brazilian looking dude that goes all the way down until his ass cheeks touch his heals.

I thought that would mess up your knees? He is doing it with at least 185 and I think that is about what he ways. Maybe more than what he weighs.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm just ******* around as i don't go crazy heavy anymore either, but better to go balls to the floor with less weight than half-assed mini-knee bends with more weight.

exactly, i love the muscle dudes at my gym who try and lift all this heavy weight and then they go and do half-reps. i am a huge fan of the lighter weights/more reps kinda workout, plus i am prone to injury all the time from old sports related surgeries and what not it's they only way i can workout...

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
exactly, i love the muscle dudes at my gym who try and lift all this heavy weight and then they go and do half-reps. i am a huge fan of the lighter weights/more reps kinda workout, plus i am prone to injury all the time from old sports related surgeries and what not it's they only way i can workout...
I only cheat on squats. I do think you get more out of less reps with more weight if done properly.

Just my opinion.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i do power partials and rack lockouts and cheat curls from time to time but identify them as such.
i've been staying in the 8-10 rep range cause my back and neck are pretty much completely fucked.

my best ever lifts were/are:

507 bench
615 dead
585 squat
425 military press

Originally Posted by Tooch4321

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Silverback
I only cheat on squats. I do think you get more out of less reps with more weight if done properly.

Just my opinion.

no, i totally understand what you are saying and i am saying i lift in the 10-12 rep range per set rather than the 5-8 range. i do add weight as needed, but i am also not going to be trying to lift buick if that makes sense...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
i'm just ******* around as i don't go crazy heavy anymore either, but better to go balls to the floor with less weight than half-assed mini-knee bends with more weight.

That's why I do box squats mostly...I find myself cheating more with a normal squat, particularly as I get tired.

- B

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i've been doing a lot of single leg squats lately. have to mix it up.

there are basically 8-12 worthwhile exercises per bodypart. if you train 4 or 5 days a week you have to mix it up as to not lose your mind with boredom.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i do power partials and rack lockouts and cheat curls from time to time but identify them as such.
i've been staying in the 8-10 rep range cause my back and neck are pretty much completely fucked.

my best ever lifts were/are:

507 bench
615 dead
585 squat
425 military press

That's pretty bad ass. I usually don't care what other people are lifting around me because I am there for me but a 507 bench is something I would notice.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^haha. yes, i have marsupial strength to go along with my totalled back and neck. i tend to stick to more human-scale poundages these days. i was laughing at your username because my wife says i look like a silverback when i spread the lats.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Just a quick question... I know this is a contentious topic, but how big were your guns when you lifted this amount of iron?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thats alot of fuckin weight! I am just looking to be very lean and cut, dont want to be huge and bulky, right now I am about 70% to where I want to be.. but I have been to this 70% point about 100 times and something always comes up where I end up havin to take some time off for a month or two beacuse of one reason or another, then I gotta start over../..

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
20.5. they are around 19 now. and pg, you can always find time to train barring illness.
Originally Posted by aleeboy
Just a quick question... I know this is a contentious topic, but how big were your guns when you lifted this amount of iron?

Deluks917

Reaction score
Another kinda dumb question, how long did it take to get hose numbers?

Also what weight were you at?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
those numbers were at around 260. i've been as heavy as 275 but it wasn't comfortable.

fashionsnob

Reaction score
I would stay away from too high reps when lifting. The goal for lifting weights is to build muscle and not to do cardio. You will not get leaner when you you do more reps.

Try this for a few months:
Do all your Upper body lifting in one routine instead of splitting it up. Do this 2x per week! THis is enough since your muscles need some time to recover. Alternate the workout slightly each time you do it. For example: If you start with chest one day, start with back the next time you lift. The exceltion are biceps and tricepts. Save those for last. If you start with doing bicepts curls first, then most of your back exercises won't work your back much (your arms are too tired to even get close to failure on your back muscles)

Once a week do legs. Stay to the bigger muscle groups like gluts, quads and hams. Squats are great since they work all your large muscel groups. Be careful about form and don't do too much weight unless your form is perfect. Reps about 8-12.

Cardio should be done at least 3 times per week! Do it at least for an hour at a time. Do this at medium or light Heart rate (about 60-70%). Length and lower intensity are key for a good fat-metabolism.

Just stay motivated and find joy in it! Things will happen...

Hope this helps!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads