• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to best get what you should get from a tailor

Montreal-Cowboy

Reaction score
I want some new pants for summer. I am thinking linen. 1 Black. 1 Green. 1 Blue. I am a slim guy getting a bit paunchy..and I am working on that. 6ft tall. 185 lbs. 34-35 inch waist. I have no ass and skinny legs. Not a pretty picture. So the threads really have to work hard for me. I like a pant with some room in the legs (not as extreme as Ricky Ricardo), nice big loops, button fly and cuffs. Would that be the right direction to give a tailor or should I try to bring a picture of the pant style I am trying to describe?

Help me my well-dressed brethren!

P.S. I live in Montreal and would also love a tailor recommendation.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bring a photo.

Know the measurements of your favorite fitting pants at the cuff opening and knee. A half and inch can make a big difference in the look and fit.

But, I would suggest that you go for more fitted pants in the leg myself. Full legs will look very 80's-90's. But, that is, of course, up to you.

Millerp

Reaction score
Wear your best fitting pants to the tailor and tell him what you like and dislike
about them and what changes you would like.

ykurtz

Reaction score
In addition to a fuller leg, consider back pockets with flaps. For casual linen slacks, those should work and will give you some 'dimensions' in the seat area.

domenickb

Reaction score
Bring a photo and go see G. Tonino on St. Hubert.

Excellent tailor.

colinbc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You could bring your preferred suit with you so they can see what you want in a suit.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When you say you have no ass it usually means a flat seat or high seat or both in tailor talk. Go see several tailors and see who diagnoses your fitting issues best. Find out if they will cut for your posture and if they do the work in house or send the work out like using a MTM program. Ask them how they would fit your body type. You want to avoid having all the extra cloth wrinkling under the seat like you see in a lot of the fit pictures here. Go with the tailor you think will get the fit best because that is what you will either love or hate about the trousers after you get them. Styling is second to fit. The more specific the styling detail then the more specific your request should be like providing a picture or bringing an example of what you want. For example, when you say you want nice big loops, do you mean the actual width of the loop or the depth of the loop to work with a wide belt? If you need depth then you should either know the exact width of the belt or have it with you. When you interview a tailor, ask what/how he would make for you because he will probably ask you things in return that you haven't considered or thought to ask since you're new to this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads