How to best get what you should get from a tailor

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Montreal-Cowboy, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Montreal-Cowboy

Montreal-Cowboy New Member

I want some new pants for summer. I am thinking linen. 1 Black. 1 Green. 1 Blue. I am a slim guy getting a bit paunchy..and I am working on that. 6ft tall. 185 lbs. 34-35 inch waist. I have no ass and skinny legs. Not a pretty picture. So the threads really have to work hard for me. I like a pant with some room in the legs (not as extreme as Ricky Ricardo), nice big loops, button fly and cuffs. Would that be the right direction to give a tailor or should I try to bring a picture of the pant style I am trying to describe?

Help me my well-dressed brethren!

P.S. I live in Montreal and would also love a tailor recommendation.

2. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bring a photo.

Know the measurements of your favorite fitting pants at the cuff opening and knee. A half and inch can make a big difference in the look and fit.

But, I would suggest that you go for more fitted pants in the leg myself. Full legs will look very 80's-90's. But, that is, of course, up to you.

3. Millerp

Millerp Senior member

Wear your best fitting pants to the tailor and tell him what you like and dislike
    about them and what changes you would like.

4. ykurtz

ykurtz Senior member

In addition to a fuller leg, consider back pockets with flaps. For casual linen slacks, those should work and will give you some 'dimensions' in the seat area.

5. GBR

GBR Senior member

+1

6. Montreal-Cowboy

Montreal-Cowboy New Member

Thanks for the great reco. I'll definitely ask about that.

7. domenickb

domenickb Active Member

Bring a photo and go see G. Tonino on St. Hubert.

Excellent tailor.

8. sullivan025

sullivan025 Senior member

This would be very helpful.

9. colinbc

colinbc Well-Known Member

You could bring your preferred suit with you so they can see what you want in a suit.

10. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

When you say you have no ass it usually means a flat seat or high seat or both in tailor talk. Go see several tailors and see who diagnoses your fitting issues best. Find out if they will cut for your posture and if they do the work in house or send the work out like using a MTM program. Ask them how they would fit your body type. You want to avoid having all the extra cloth wrinkling under the seat like you see in a lot of the fit pictures here. Go with the tailor you think will get the fit best because that is what you will either love or hate about the trousers after you get them. Styling is second to fit. The more specific the styling detail then the more specific your request should be like providing a picture or bringing an example of what you want. For example, when you say you want nice big loops, do you mean the actual width of the loop or the depth of the loop to work with a wide belt? If you need depth then you should either know the exact width of the belt or have it with you. When you interview a tailor, ask what/how he would make for you because he will probably ask you things in return that you haven't considered or thought to ask since you're new to this.