• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to begin drinking scotch?

Duff_Man

Reaction score
I've turned a lot of people on to SMS via Islays, almost always Laphoraig. The generic taste of scotch is actually kinda toxic, and if you get something with no character, there's nothing to appreciate. Islays are very in-your-face with their character, so it's easy to 'get it'.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duff_Man
I've turned a lot of people on to SMS via Islays, almost always Laphoraig. The generic taste of scotch is actually kinda toxic, and if you get something with no character, there's nothing to appreciate. Islays are very in-your-face with their character, so it's easy to 'get it'.
My first serious appreciation of SMS was with Talisker and Lagavullin. So I think there is something to that...for some people. Others will be turned off forever to all SMS. I've seen that as well. But you also make a good point about "character" and I suspect that some blended Scotches which have a low percentage of malt in the blend are only good for making the transistion from alco-pops to real liquor. Coming to terms with the taste of alcohol rather than the taste of sugar. If you've got a blend that contains only 2% malt there's not much by way of "Scotch" character.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
For god sake no, Talisker is not smooth. It's got a big edge and is quite peppery, to my taste. It's one of the more sophisticated affordable single malts.

Smooth is in this context the opposite of harsh. As in, I drink it and I appreciate the tastes not impeded by alcohol induced throat constriction.

That's just my opinion (and Merriam Webster's).

So things can be smooth and have a lot of taste.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Smooth is in this context the opposite of harsh. As in, I drink it and I appreciate the tastes not impeded by alcohol induced throat constriction.
+100 I like it.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
Clan MacGregor. That **** will make you wanna toss a caber.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Imbibe it orally.
wink.gif

I think that you needn't 'study' it or anything if you're young and enjoy to party. I myself only started to get interested in 'Scotch', esp. single malt, when I was about 29 years old. Before that I drank this and that but at first mainly to get drunk and have fun.

At 29 I bought a whiskey book by Michael Jackson and also a few widely available single malts, like Laphroaig and Lagavulin that sounded nice, that I already knew or that had a high score in that work. Some of them I didn't like as well as their 'scores' would have indicated [e.g. the younger Bowmore- much too salty for me], but that impression is also influenced by the occasion and my mood. You have to find out about your taste, about what you like and school it- just try out anything you want but if it is in any way boring or tedious to you, then don't...

Here's a youtube channel that I found the other day with some whiskey-tasting-notes and reviews: http://www.youtube.com/user/ralfystuff

polloloco

Reaction score
Great contribution from all. Thanks.

For the new guys, can't stress the importance of enjoying the scotch (all the subtle flavors/differnet notes) don't force it down if you don't like it. Stick with the blended (JW, Chivas etc) to start with - it's easier on the palate. Go to tastings and chat up bartenders - they may offer you samples, a good way to taste the rainbow.

Also, savor the experience/the company, when you're drinking. The sips really force you to focus on what is at hand and slow things down. I enjoy deep thought/reflecting with a scotch.

-pollo (dos centavos)

lmm54

Reaction score
Another perspective I can't resist adding. (From a big drinker of scotch, bourbon, rye.)

I guess for beginners, blends are ok -- Johnny Black, Jameson is all right too as an introduction. These should be palatable for non-whisky drinkers. But they're not ideal because they don't have any of the complexity that makes malts interesting to drink. So I'd recommend starting with a more sherried single malt; Macallan 12 is my suggestion for something easy to drink, easily findable, and not too expensive.

If you end up buying a bottle, you can start drinking it with ice. But as soon as you're comfortable with that, switch to a splash of soft spring water. The French bottled waters are the most suitable ones available in the US -- e.g. Volvic, Evian.

kjamesuvic

Reaction score
I've taken some of this advice to heart. Went out to the liquor store yesterday and got a couple of those 50ml bottles. One Glenfiddich 12 and the other some random one that looks like **** to be honest. Poored a tiny amount of the Glenfiddich into a glass, and added 2 parts water. It wasn't the most amazing tasting beverage I've ever had but it wasn't that bad. I will be heading home from university for the holidays and might sit down with the old man to try out a few other types.

I greatly appreciate all the replies and advice from the gents who chimed in. I tip my glass to you.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kjamesuvic
I've taken some of this advice to heart. Went out to the liquor store yesterday and got a couple of those 50ml bottles. One Glenfiddich 12 and the other some random one that looks like **** to be honest. Poored a tiny amount of the Glenfiddich into a glass, and added 2 parts water. It wasn't the most amazing tasting beverage I've ever had but it wasn't that bad. I will be heading home from university for the holidays and might sit down with the old man to try out a few other types.

I greatly appreciate all the replies and advice from the gents who chimed in. I tip my glass to you.

The way you say it makes it sound like you added more water than scotch into the glass, that's not the way to do it. You want maybe... 1-2mL of water per ounce of Scotch, no more. Literally "a few drops" is all you add. I'd suggest trying again unless you've simply typed out what you were trying to say incorrectly.

@Duffman, I agree with this idea. I was at the brewpub with some friends a little bit ago and decided I'd grab a scotch so I had a Laphroaig, some people at my table had never tasted scotch so I gave them a try. I don't think any of them really liked it, but they did consider it an "experience" and understood the draw. A lot of people wouldn't understand the draw if you give them something easy in flavour that ends up just being a burning sensation to the first timer.

Time for a little crag.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lmm54
I guess for beginners, blends are ok -- Johnny Black, Jameson is all right too as an introduction. These should be palatable for non-whisky drinkers. But they're not ideal because they don't have any of the complexity that makes malts interesting to drink.
I think this advice is spot on. And when you consider that most blended Scotch contains a fair percentage of grain alcohol (similar to Everclear or vodka) you have wonder what the point is...why drink Scotch (instead of Vodka) if you are not getting the flavor profile that is so characteristic of malt. Some popular blends contain less than 5% malt. I might add that adding ice to Scotch is frowned upon not just for decorum's sake but because it "...actually changes the molecular structure... and kills the flavours..."

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread got me thirsty and it's only 10:42 am. I haven't had a dram in days...
frown.gif

TwoFours

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
My first serious appreciation of SMS was with Talisker and Lagavullin. So I think there is something to that...for some people. Others will be turned off forever to all SMS. I've seen that as well.

Agreed. I started trying to get into scotch when I lived at home after college by having some of my dads J Walker BLack. I didn't get it. It was ok nothing special (of course it's a blend so that's a given). But then I tried a Laphroaig 10yr and it was incredible. I've really only ever drank peated scotches since then. I've read on scotch forums that you either start out on the peated side and slowly work your way to the "delicate" (ie "smooth") side or you start on the delicate side and work your way up to peated. Either way, drink what you like...and please no ice unless its a blend.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no wrong way to start liking single malt scotch, as long as you start
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads