1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How to begin drinking scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kjamesuvic, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Dinhilion

Dinhilion Senior member

Anyone who is really serious about single malts should read this.

Don't pay any attention to the context...it's a kilt forum, and don't pay any attention to the dialogue. Just know that the author is a real expert/aficionado and everything he says in the three essays here is spot on.

Pay particular attention to his comments on ice. and his remarks about the differences in taste between the malts of different regions such as Island, Highland, Speyside, etc..

I began with Glenlivit and Glenfiddich. And I wasn't sure. I went from there to Talisker and Lagavulin and Laphroig. With side trips to Balvenie, Oban, Dalwhinnie,Caol Ila, etc. Somewhere along the line you discover your preferences. I'll still enjoy Talisker and Gelnmorangie. I really like the Macallan 18 for brunch. Laphroig Quarter Cask is my standby. But I am currently into the Ardbeg 1990 Airigh Nam Beist.

In my opinion,among good malts the best malts are old malts. As P1M says anything younger than 12 years old is going to have a pretty stiff raw grain alcohol taste. Macallan 12 is much rawer and less smooth than the 18. Applies pretty much across the board.

I've gone from the sweeter fruity Speysides with little or no peat, to the Island malts which are usually very smokey and peaty and finish quite dry, to Arbeg which is reputed to be the smokiest and peatiest of them all.

I would note one other thing...I have had gastric reflux for almost 20 years due to a small hiatal hernia. I can't drink wine, for instance. But not only can I drink a good malt without ill effects, I seldom have a hangover when I've overdone it a bit.

Read the link and good luck.

Tioraidh

Once I got past all of the crazy that link was actually really good.

2. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Once I got past all of the crazy that link was actually really good.
    [​IMG]I know it. That's why I kind of warned everyone. I keep going back to it time and again. Learn something new each time. The whole subtopic is pretty good especially if you stick to posts started by or dominated by Pour1Malt--he's the owner/innkeeper at Ferintosh in Dumfries. Robert Burns spent some (considerable) time there, as I understand it.

3. Philip1209

Philip1209 Well-Known Member

It was actually bourbon (Knob's Creek specifically) that got me into whiskey. Now scotch is one of my favorite drinks. My go-to for my friends and I when we are studying is generally Johnnie Walker Green.

4. Cordwinder

Cordwinder Senior member

I started with Johnny Walker Black. My father had it with water, before dinner. It was my first legal alcoholic drink I had when I turned 18 I had at a bar. First bottle I bought was Jack Daniels. It was good and cheap when I was in college.

5. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

when we are studying is generally Johnnie Walker Green.

Green label when studying - that's posh.

6. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Anyone who is really serious about single malts should read this.

Good link. Thanks.

I'm not totally surprised, DWF, but why are you on that site in the first place?

7. DWFII

Good link. Thanks. I'm not totally surprised, DWF, but why are you on that site in the first place?
    Meownself on the right and my particular friend--Al Saguto,the head shoemaker at Colonial Williamsburg--on the left. My greyhound in the background. [​IMG]

8. M. Bardamu

M. Bardamu Senior member

I am also 21 and started drinking scotch mainly after the age of 19. Start at home with cheaper brands like red label,teachers,chivas regal.

Teacher's is a criminally underrated blend and excellent value for money -- highly recommended for a newb.

9. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Meownself on the right and my particular friend--Al Saguto,the head shoemaker at Colonial Williamsburg--on the left. My greyhound in the background.

[​IMG]

"If it's no' Sco'ish i's kerraaaaap"

Would've liked a scotch today, but there seems to not be enough hours in a day for me. [​IMG]

10. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Has anyone said:

1> Pour into glass
    2> Raise glass
    3> Put glass to lips
    4> Pour scotch into mouth
    5> Savor for a moment
    6> Swallow

?

11. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

start with single malt....skip the blended. Grab a bottle of highland park. Its been my favorite for awhile. Now ive been hitting the bourbons for a variety

12. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Derek - have you discovered Rye yet?

13. DWFII

start with single malt....skip the blended. Grab a bottle of highland park. Its been my favorite for awhile.
    ^+100 Anytime you get the real thing being blended with what is, essentially, Everclear, you don't have any idea what is in it. It could be corn or wheat spirits, it could be potato alcohol. And you lose that marvelous and surprising quality of no (or minimal) hangover effect. Similarly with bourbons (for me at least) anytime you got residual sugars they'll burn the B vitamins out of your brain cells and dehydrate your brain. Ipso facto...hangovover.

14. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

Derek - have you discovered Rye yet?

i havent. Honestly dont know much about it or the best way to drink it....suggestions? Im always up to more drinking. haha.

15. AlmostFullBenefits

AlmostFullBenefits Senior member

i havent. Honestly dont know much about it or the best way to drink it....suggestions? Im always up to more drinking. haha.

You can drink rye like any other whisky: neat or with a small amount of soda if its too strong for your tastes initially.

I really prefer having manhattan's made from rye than bourbon, and a rye sazerac is also another favorite, if you can stand the taste of licorice (it has a small amount of absinthe in it).

I haven't tried too many different types of rye, basically I stopped once I found (ri)1.

16. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

You can drink rye like any other whisky: neat or with a small amount of soda if its too strong for your tastes initially.

I really prefer having manhattan's made from rye than bourbon, and a rye sazerac is also another favorite, if you can stand the taste of licorice (it has a small amount of absinthe in it).

I haven't tried too many different types of rye, basically I stopped once I found (ri)1.

rye sazerac sounds fuggin awesome. Ill have to give that a shot.

17. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Sazeracs are one of my favorite drinks - I started a thread on them a while back.

(ri) is good stuff - I'm also a huge fan of High West, although it's hard to find, and Ive been meaning to check out Hudson. Both of those labels make bourbons as well.

18. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

Sazeracs are one of my favorite drinks - I started a thread on them a while back.

(ri) is good stuff - I'm also a huge fan of High West, although it's hard to find, and Ive been meaning to check out Hudson. Both of those labels make bourbons as well.

got it on my shopping list. thanks a ton!

19. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

20. ktrp

ktrp Senior member

I find cheap scotch horrible. Or perhaps I should say scotch is expensive relative to other forms of whisk(e)y, which means you need to hit a higher price point to get something pleasant.

Irish whiskey (Jameson's, bushmills) at the cheap end is easier drinking then scotch, which might serve as a good entry point if you don't want to throw down on the expensive stuff. I'd take it over JW black any day.

I would personally suggest never using ice, but use as much water as you need. Water makes the taste milder (although a few drops can open up the flavour). Ice reduces your taste buds sensitivity, but to my palate at least, it doesn't do so evenly over all flavours. If I were to use a sound analogy, water is like turning down the volume, ice is like covering your ears, which muffles and changes the sound because some tones are affected more then others.

Regarding it being an acquired taste, I think there's truth in that. However, I liked the _aftertaste_ right off the bat.