• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to begin drinking scotch?

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried to emulate my grand dad too by drinking scotch. Ordered a johnny walker black on the rocks and it was ******* horrible.

drbaw

Reaction score
Make sure that you also stock a good bottle of gin. Some nights are Scotch nights, but others require gin. Preferably with vermouth or a dash of orange bitters.

Also, drink Scotch to enjoy it, not to affect maturity.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
Wisers? I know that some others here (Piobaire, at least) seem to love the stuff but I bought a bottle a few weeks ago and thought it was one of the worst whiskeys I'd ever tasted. Harsh alcohol bite, no character and left me with a headache. When I want something cheap, I find Jim Beam is much, much better.

Different strokes I guess. Bourbon is typically on the bolder end of the spectrum. Jim Beam Black is a pretty good value. JB White is terrible, though I must say.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Different strokes I guess. Bourbon is typically on the bolder end of the spectrum. Jim Beam Black is a pretty good value. JB White is terrible, though I must say.

The JB White tastes fine to me, FWIW.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
If you start with single malts, I'd recommend beginning with Speysides; Macallan, then Cragganmore. Then when you want to move to higher end stuff, I'd recommend Oban. I'd stay away from Islay unless it's maybe Bruichladdich Rocks or Caol Ila... definitely not Lag/Laph or Bowmore yet.

Dunno man... I was definitely NOT a scotch drinker until I tried Lagavulin 16 on a whim because the bar had some and I remembered the name of it from one of the scotch threads. Now i'm ******* hooked. I love the smell/taste of it and I hardly drink anything else.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Back in 1994, I just graduated from college and my brother was home on leave when he was in the Marines. Both of my brothers, though, my parents, and me took a trip into Houston one day and stock up on a shitload of wine/booze/beer at Specs. On the forty minute drive home, we passed a bottle of Macallan 18 Year Old around in the Suburban and ended up drinking half of it by the time we got home.

You might say that this is such a waste of good whisky, but of all the times I've drunk whisky, this one provides me the best memories (if they provide me with memories at all!).

Smartalox

Reaction score
Johnnie Walker black is highly recommended; it has the benefit (for me at least) of not leaving much of a hangover, even when consumed in irresponsible quantities (~ 1/4 of a bottle at a sitting), and in the right company, makes for the best conversations. I like mine with water, about 2 parts water to 1 part Scotch.

JW Red is, in my opinion, to be avoided at all costs. When your tastes mature, try the Green Label. It's blended from single malts, and different notes become apparent depending on how much water is added. It's now my preferred scotch for casual entertaining.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
I tried to emulate my grand dad too by drinking scotch. Ordered a johnny walker black on the rocks and it was ******* horrible.

It's all about bourbon. Wild Turkey is so much better for so much less.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
It's all about bourbon. Wild Turkey is so much better for so much less.

Hate bourbon too. Only spirit I like straight is gin, tastes like bitter lemonade to me.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
Hate bourbon too. Only spirit I like straight is gin, tastes like bitter lemonade to me.

Then you probably shouldn't comment on topics about straight spirits.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Great guide! I tend to add one small ice cube to my scotch. I don't know if that's sacrilegious, but it seems to open the flavors just enough for me and I enjoy drinking it slightly cold too.

The first time I tried a good single malt I loved it because I read about how to drink it and really tried to taste the flavors. I have a very sensitive palate and felt that helped a lot.

Scotch nerds tend to shy away from ice since the temperature drop dulls the senses a bit... but if you have a sensitive palate, that may work to your advantage.

Originally Posted by cptjeff
Then you probably shouldn't comment on topics about straight spirits.

Last I checked, the topic was about Scotch whisky... not bourbon/Irish/Canadian/every whisk(e)y.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
Last I checked, the topic was about Scotch whisky... not bourbon/Irish/Canadian/every whisk(e)y.
That's not the issue. The issue is that he hates scotch, bourbon, and every other spirit straight apart from Gin. In topics discussing the ins and outs of straight spirits, he probably shouldn't bother to comment extensively except in threads about gin, as his "I dislike any form of this spirit" posts would add little/nothing to the discussion.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
kjamesuvic: Save your money until you have $200 and then buy yourself a bottle of Octomore.
colgate.gif

Sorry, bad joke... but in all seriousness, there is some good and some questionable advice here. My two cents, but you shouldn't feel the need to "work your way up" to quality Single Malt Scotch by drinking cheap blended whisky. Also, you most certainly don't want to "kill your taste buds". One of the most pleasurable aspects of drinking fine whisky is honing your sense of taste and smell.

I was going to reference this post I made in a similar topic, but your budget and chances of finding like-minded individuals your age willing to pony up some cash will make it challenging (read: impossible).

As some people here suggested, start off with one solid Single Malt within your budget. Most of the time, that means Glenlivet 12yr or Glenfiddich 12yr. They're cheap, readily available, and have an accessible flavor profile (mild mannered, light, a little fruity, a little grassy). They're also a little boring. Huntsman made two excellent suggestions (Cragganmore or HP12) that are in alignment with your budget and offer a little more character than the previously mentioned whiskies while still maintaining an accessible profile. Oban does get recommended pretty frequently, but I tend to steer people toward Cragganmore since Oban does have a detectable bitter/metallic finish. In the end, Diageo's still going to get your money. The Glenrothes, Old Pultney, or Dalwhinnie will also get the job done.

When you do acquire your first bottle, find a quiet time to enjoy it where you won't have many distractions (particularly strong aromas in the air). Call over a couple friends who you trust won't just try to shoot it...

Sorry, getting side tracked here, but once, I was at a business function and the guy hosting asked me to pick a Scotch off the restaurant's menu with little or no concern about the price. I saw that HP18 was fairly priced and he ordered a round for everyone at the table. To my horror, half the people present shot their whisky and then made sour faces. I wanted to cry.

Anyway, when serving your whisky, try to use something tapered like changy suggested. A wine glass would be better than a tumbler to help focus the aromas. A cheap brandy snifter would be even better (probably not going to be able to afford Glencairn glasses on your budget at this time... spend your money on whisky instead). Only pour 1-2oz at a time. Give it a few minutes to breathe. Smell your whisky (but not too deeply). Try to pay attention to what you're smelling. Take a tiny sip neat. The alcohol will burn your mouth and palate at first. Take another tiny sip. This time, you should be able to taste a little more of what's going on. As you're slowly enjoying your whisky, add a few drops of room temperature filtered or bottled water at a time and see how the smell and taste evolves. Have some discussion with your companions about what they're experiencing (sherry, peat, grass, malted barley, salt, brine, sea aromas, berries, nuts, etc. etc. etc.). Have fond thoughts of your grandfather and when he used to enjoy a little Scotch.

Or not. I'd imagine a lot of 21yr old kids would think this is all rather douchey and pretentious. If that's the case, spend your $50 on 90 cans of Simpler Times at Trader Joe's instead and let the good times roll.

The topic of when one should drink whisky is also heavily debated. There are many who enjoy a nice whisky after a heavy meal as a digestif. There are others who try to put as much time between their last meal and their whisky as possible since their palate will be at its freshest. But you should already know the pitfalls associated with drinking on an empty stomach. You also can't argue with having a dram of Scotch with a juicy steak. I think the answer is that there is no bad time to have some Scotch.

After that first bottle is gone and your interest is still there, try something a little different. Perhaps something a little bolder and a little peatier. Until you're a little more familiar with the different styles of Scotch, I'd recommend holding off on any of the whiskies from Islay (like Ardbeg or Laphroaig). Now that is something you may need to work your way up to.

This is excellent advice.

My first scotch was Highland Park 18 which has long been my father's favorite. My first super high scotch was the original bottling Bowmore Black. If only I knew how rare and expensive that was going to become I'd have two cases of it now...

Nathaniel72

Reaction score
The whole point to having good liquor is so you can drink it neat with some amount of pleasure. The reason you drink something straight up or neat is so you don't have to bother your digestion with unnecessary wash. That being said, you will eventually acquire a taste for something that you like. Also you shouldn't drink scotch, you should taste it. If you're just gonna drink it because you wanna feel like a sophisticated man or because you wanna get tipsy, go with whiskey.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scotch is whiskey. Well, technically whisky, but what's an e between friends?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads