• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to become Funnier?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You've GOT to be self-deprecating. You have to be able to laugh at yourself - if you take yourself too seriously, people will laugh at you, but only behind your back.
You must see the humor in daily life - the good and the bad stuff that happens to you. Of course, the bad stuff is the fodder for humor.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I prescribe intense sessions of British humor (e.g. Monty Python) and Seinfeld. Do not try to take examples from these and repeat them yourself - rather, learn how to see the world in an absurd way. When you can do that consistently, you will find yourself seeing the funny in things.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You either got it or you don't. The only thing you can try to do is bring out the funny that is already within you. The way to do this is, in my personal experience, is to express yourself without inhibition. The more self-conscious you are, the more difficult it is to be funny.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
'funnier' might be grammatically correct, but more funny seems as if it would be the most appropriate.

that being said I got a c in just about every English class ever.

My real advice is NEVER LAUGH AT YOUR OWN JOKES!

Its easier for people to laugh at you than themselves, so obviously avoid taking stabs at your audience.

Responding to any question with 'NO!' is funny, try it on your boss sometime.

'thats what she said' is only funny when Steve Carell says it.

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most day I, feel like a month aged, korppu which doesn't make, for many chukers or, giggles..

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My real advice is NEVER LAUGH AT YOUR OWN JOKES!
i have found myself doing this to perfection. when i say something really fkn funny, you and everyone who hears it knows its funny, i will just stoneface it while everyone else laughs.

what it comes down to is acting like you have been there b4

lifersfc

Reaction score
I laugh at my own jokes or quips--but only when everyone else is cracking up.

Joshua Arson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
You've GOT to be self-deprecating. You have to be able to laugh at yourself - if you take yourself too seriously, people will laugh at you, but only behind your back.
You must see the humor in daily life - the good and the bad stuff that happens to you. Of course, the bad stuff is the fodder for humor.

Laughing at yourself is one thing, being that annoying guy who's always ripping on himself is another. Do it in moderation or you'll come off as having incredibly low self esteem.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i actually make fun of everyone. but i do it in a joking manner, and make fun of myself as well so people dont really get offended. im pretty good at reading people, so i know when i can make sarcastic jabs or just flat out make fun of them, and i know when not to. the worst are people who cant read people, yet think theyre funny when the people are just completely annoyed by it etc.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I prescribe intense sessions of British humor (e.g. Monty Python) and Seinfeld. Do not try to take examples from these and repeat them yourself - rather, learn how to see the world in an absurd way. When you can do that consistently, you will find yourself seeing the funny in things.

+1.

unrated

Reaction score
A lot of the times, the truth is funny. Look at little kids, they're pros at it.

Shraka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lifersfc
I laugh at my own jokes or quips--but only when everyone else is cracking up.

Yeah, Jimeoin says you should laugh at your own jokes. The idea is that if you don't find them funny enough to laugh, what hope do you have of convincing others?

The comedians behind The Goon Show used to crack up at their own jokes. You could often hear someone dying of laughter trying to get lines out. One of them (Wiki tells me it's Harry Secombe) used to blow raspberries before laughing his head off at his own or other people's jokes (Thanks again to wiki: Apparently it was to let the rest of the cast know he was about to crack up).

micbain

Reaction score
can't be afraid to be not funny. gotta throw them out there - sometimes they land sometimes they don't but you'll figure out what your friends/co workers, etc find funny.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sometimes jokes that purposely arent funny are the funniest ones, when added with a stupid looking face at the end etc.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

I think being funny often comes from appreciating a lot of great humor. As Stephen King has said about writing- don't expect to be a great writer unless you do a lot of reading. So goes joke telling or being funny. I don't claim to be hilarious, but Monty Python is an important one for me. I also listen to Howard Stern pretty often and I love South Park.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads