Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How to become Funnier?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by longskate88, Aug 25, 2008.

1. longskate88

longskate88 Senior member

This is an odd question, but how does someone learn to be funnier? I know people who just walk into the room, and you can't help but laugh at them (in a good way or course ) no matter what they say or do. They just have it all, the tone of voice, facial expressions, mannerisms, etc. that are hilarious. I don't want to be the guy who memorizes jokes, but just someone who's thought of as having a good sense of humor. Any tips? One I've heard is to lighten your tone of voice, since most jokes are not told in a deep voice. Smiling more probably couldn't hurt either? What do the funny people you know have in common? Thanks guys [​IMG]

2. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i would say just be yourself. embrace that you. someone who tries hard to be funny can be noticed a mile away and even if you can learn to be funnier if it aint natural it gets tiring. there are lot of other qualities in anyone that can be very endearing, not just being humorous all the time.

edit: well, since you asked how to become funnier, i would say in my recollection, those who have alot of experiences, involved with lots of stuff and people, tend to have alot of stuff to talk about, and opinions about them or that. it is usually the situational stuff surrounding the person or what he was involved with and the story that is funny, thus, making the person a 'funny' person.
    just some non-contextual attempts at humor, even though funny, can get a bit tiresome after awhile and those around catch on quick with some second impressions about the person

3. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Breathing exercises.

4. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

Are you an inherently funny person who has difficulty delivering the funny? Or are you completely lacking the funny?

5. longskate88

Doublepost

6. longskate88

Are you an inherently funny person who has difficulty delivering the funny? Or are you completely lacking the funny?

Sometimes I'll think of something funny to say, but a few minutes after it was needed. I'm usually in a serious mood, though sometimes I'll get on a roll and throw down a few funny quips, usually in response to someone else's 'story' of their day. When I'm in the right 'mood', I'm very sarcastic and 'funny' you could say, I'm just not in that mood too often. It might stem from being self-absorbed, and not paying enough attention to what people around me are saying or doing

7. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

If you have to ask...

8. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

Sometimes I'll think of something funny to say, but a few minutes after it was needed. I'm usually in a serious mood, though sometimes I'll get on a roll and throw down a few funny quips, usually in response to someone else's 'story' of their day. When I'm in the right 'mood', I'm very sarcastic and 'funny' you could say, I'm just not in that mood too often. It might stem from being self-absorbed, and not paying enough attention to what people around me are saying or doing
    Ah then, funny is not your issue. Sounds like a mild social anxiety.

9. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

My advice is to try as hard as you can.

10. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

learn to control your facial expressions. that can be funny if done right at the right time. doesnt require much wit.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

My advice is to try as hard as you can.

Or don't try at all, let it come to you. Sometimes I have the funny. Other times I don't and the best thing for me to do is smile and let others show their funny.

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

^I think you've always got teh funny.

(no homo)

Try reading the DT for starters. Pure gold!

13. Milhouse

Milhouse Senior member

Try stories about personal pain. People always like to laugh about others getting hurt. No, really, the staff of the Simpson's has repeatedly mentioned that the more horrific sounding they make Homer's screams of pain, the funnier it gets.

14. Lel

Lel Senior member

Get them drunk, then you will be hilarious.

15. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

Comedy is all about timing. Timing includes how you tell the joke, when you tell it, the rhythm you use, and the tempo at which you tell it. All of these things are important. You also have to be quick.