• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to bbq with wood chunks?

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I picked up a few bags of hickory wood chunks this past weekend on clearance. I have never cooked with wood chunks before and need some tips on what to cook with them and how to use. Any ideas for recipes or tips for heat controll is greatly appreciated!

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do you mean by chunks? do you mean chips (pieces about the size of a 50-cent piece or smaller)? or do you mean mini-logs. mini-logs you start much the same as you'd start briquettes or hardwood (start a few in the chimney, when they get going, empty them and add more to the pile until tehy're well caught). if they're chips, soak them in water for 30 minutes while you're starting the fire. right before you put the food on, toss on the chips. you get a nice immediate smoke. with mini-logs, it's more subtle unless you're cooking for a longer time.

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I meant to say big wood chunks like mini logs that need a chimney to get started.

zhouyu

Reaction score
its for smoking... throw it on top of some coals and cover the grill

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Technically, you can cook over wood chunks. Where do you think we get charcoal from? Well, at least lump charcoal.

If you bought them at the grocery store, I'm guessing you got hickory or mesquite. The problem with those two is that they can be very robust and overpower the meat if overdone. If you got some white oak, you could do some mean ribs with it, but hickory could be harsh.

Otherwise, start a charcoal fire, thow on the meat and a chunk of the wood and enjoy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads