• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How to bbq with wood chunks?

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I picked up a few bags of hickory wood chunks this past weekend on clearance. I have never cooked with wood chunks before and need some tips on what to cook with them and how to use. Any ideas for recipes or tips for heat controll is greatly appreciated!

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do you mean by chunks? do you mean chips (pieces about the size of a 50-cent piece or smaller)? or do you mean mini-logs. mini-logs you start much the same as you'd start briquettes or hardwood (start a few in the chimney, when they get going, empty them and add more to the pile until tehy're well caught). if they're chips, soak them in water for 30 minutes while you're starting the fire. right before you put the food on, toss on the chips. you get a nice immediate smoke. with mini-logs, it's more subtle unless you're cooking for a longer time.

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I meant to say big wood chunks like mini logs that need a chimney to get started.

zhouyu

Reaction score
its for smoking... throw it on top of some coals and cover the grill

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Technically, you can cook over wood chunks. Where do you think we get charcoal from? Well, at least lump charcoal.

If you bought them at the grocery store, I'm guessing you got hickory or mesquite. The problem with those two is that they can be very robust and overpower the meat if overdone. If you got some white oak, you could do some mean ribs with it, but hickory could be harsh.

Otherwise, start a charcoal fire, thow on the meat and a chunk of the wood and enjoy.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.