• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
I'd suggest you go an try the jacket on in a local shop, if possible. Apart from the sizing question, there ist the "can I stand the smell?" question. Some people don't like the waxy smell of the Barbours. Sizingwise, they run large, as you are supposed to be able to wear a blazer underneath them. Have you had a look at www.countryattire.com? Forget the bullshit about wax and sizing, I only just looked at the picture. I think this one will be cut to normal sizes, as you won't be bearing a blazer underneath it.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 40 R and I have a 40 R Barbour Beaufort. The sleeves, shoulders, and chest fit pretty well but it seems to be pretty big through the waist area. Now keep in mind it's designed as a work jacket, not a form fitting sportcoat. At your size, a medium should work fine.

One thing I remember reading about Barbours is that the sleeve length maybe runs a bit short.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barbour has a new "Contemporary" line, released within the past couple of years, which appear to be targeted towards their younger customers. This line includes "Contemporary" versions of some classic jacket designs as well as new models. All "Contemporary" models I have seen fit a lot slimmer in the waist and are more trim fitting in general.

drax

Reaction score
I love my Barbour. I have a vintage Bedale off ebay complete with what appears to be dried up grouse blood. THe fit on the sleeves of the 42R is good for me but like an above poster, the jacket shape always bells out somewhat at the waist. The coat is not long enought to wear a jacket underneath however. Perhaps thats just a Bedale's proportions.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
agree with all posts. got to try on several Barbours at The Hound last July and found them bit roomy save for the contemporary line which is cut slimmer (and was on sale). Also took the wax smell a bit getting used to.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Agreed that they are not true to size. I wear a 39-40 suit and typically wear a medium. I tried on a duracotton polarquilt jacket a couple of years ago and the small fit me with room to spare. Just went to the Hound last week and checked out the contemporary line (new slim fit line) and they were a much better fit, for me at least. Regarding the smell, only the wax cotton jacket smell. I don't think the jacket you posted a link to would smell. Nice choice by the way, love the epaulets.

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
agree with all posts. got to try on several Barbours at The Hound last July and found them bit roomy save for the contemporary line which is cut slimmer (and was on sale). Also took the wax smell a bit getting used to.
Pardon,

But where is "The Hound?"

thx

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Beaufort in brown that I purchased in size 44 to wear with the fur lining and a suit jacket underneath. I recently purchased a sage Bedale on sale for $178.00 at Outdoor and Country in size 42. I went down a size because I planned on wearing it in the fall with sweaters and without lining. I would go true to size if you're not planning on wearing a suit jacket underneath. Also, keep in mind that the bedale is much shorter than the beaufort - its apparently supposed to be some kind of equestrian riding jacket with double vents. The beaufort will cover your entire suit jacket, the bedale will not. Not sure how helpful this will be in relation to the item that the OP was interested in. . .

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
San Francisco, here's a link
Blast. I have been looking for a place in NY to try these on and saw the "madison avenue" bit in your location without paying attention to the miles portion, which I now see is really the operative part.

Thanks.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barbour by Peter Elliot, 1047 Madison ave @80th street.

chethondo

Reaction score
How are these supposed to fit? Are they supposed to be loose? I just got one for Christmas and its fine in the shoulders but the chest and and waist feel big. Maybe I'm just not used to it.

I wear a 40 and got a 40 in the bedale. Is this the right size?

chethondo

Reaction score
Here's a pic of it. It honestly doesn't look too tight in the pic, but it feels big. Others have this problem or is this how their supposed to fit?

I just want to make sure I get it right since its fairly pricey. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads