• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

honda137

Reaction score
It looks good, what is it a bedale or beaufort what color?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bedale will feel big in the chest and waist. The chest clearance is 10" so it's not slim at all.

phoenix_ae

Reaction score
Hey, Merry Christmas everyone! I hope this dosen't violate forum rules but I'm currently selling a Barbour-style Jacket from Ralph Lauren's Black Label Collection. I think it would be exactly what anyone who's browsing this thread, and wears a Medium/38/40/42 would be looking for.

here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160388648806

insomb

Reaction score
yeah, those are supposed to fit baggy. i went to orvis in chicago to check some out and i didn't remember which models were slimmer fitting (dunno if any of you remember that fly fishing barbour post on the sart) pretty sweet look, but the people at orvis didn't know a damn thing about the product they were selling and told me barbour jackets aren't fitted and you should just try on some women's coats (which i did, looked like ****) anyway, barbour's jacket site also say's the international moto jackets are slimmer, but overall their stuff fits loose. this is the fly fishing one.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

chethondo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by honda137
It looks good, what is it a bedale or beaufort what color?

Thanks man. Its a Bedale in the olive color.

I'm 5'9" and weigh 155. I usually wear a 40R in jackets. My waist is a 32-33 depending on the brand.

It probably is the right fit. I'm just not used to the bagginess yet.

mk923

Reaction score
so if i was a 38r in a suit size...would a 36 barbour fit?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mk923

It depends on the Barbour and whether you plan on wearing it with a liner, sweater etc. - they do different ranges with different fits. If it's one of their classic models it'll probably fit okay, if it's one of the more fashion forward models it might be a bit snug.

AE7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chethondo
How are these supposed to fit? Are they supposed to be loose? I just got one for Christmas and its fine in the shoulders but the chest and and waist feel big. Maybe I'm just not used to it.

I have Beaufort. I in shoulders its ok, in chest and around waist it fits like tent. I guess it supposed to be this way, because otherwise sleeves would be too short and shoulders to narrow.

But this makes it unusable to wear when its windy and chilly (i.e. when game birds are around) because the cold easily gets underneath the jacket. That is really stupid.

Fits something like this, on H.R.H, with the exception that Beauforts dont have waist or bottom drawstring.

prince-william-428.jpg

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mk923
Depends. 'Heritage' line fits very slim/fashion slim, like stuff from H&M/Zara would. 'Contemporary' line fits slim, but not as slim as 'Heritage'. 'Classic' line is the standard fit that modern city folks usually size down in. Another thing - AFAIK only the Classic line is made in the UK - and clearly tagged so. The rest are made in Eastern European/South American countries, and have no country of manufacture tagging within. A dirty little Barbour secret, if you will. And one last thing - never ever leave a waxed jacket in a car on a hot day!!
smile.gif

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Depends.

'Heritage' line fits very slim/fashion slim, like stuff from H&M/Zara would. 'Contemporary' line fits slim, but not as slim as 'Heritage'. 'Classic' line is the standard fit that modern city folks usually size down in.

Another thing - AFAIK only the Classic line is made in the UK - and clearly tagged so. The rest are made in Eastern European/South American countries, and have no country of manufacture tagging within. A dirty little Barbour secret, if you will.

And one last thing - never ever leave a waxed jacket in a car on a hot day!!
smile.gif

Yes that's about right for fit. AFAIK all of the wax jackets regardless of line are made in the UK (at least for the UK market - I can't speak for the rest of the world) - but much of the non-wax clothing isn't.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Yes that's about right for fit. AFAIK all of the wax jackets regardless of line are made in the UK (at least for the UK market - I can't speak for the rest of the world) - but much of the non-wax clothing isn't.
Hey MoK, hope you're well.
smile.gif
Anyway, am really sorry, but am quite certain that of the wax jackets only some of the Classic line ones are still made in the UK - information from the horse's mouth, so to speak. While travelling late in 2010, I noticed in a Barbour concession that all the Classic line waxed jackets there had 'Made in England' stated clearly on their tags, and the rest of the waxed jackets from different lines had it omitted from the tags. Intrigued, I then discovered that the ones without the 'Made in England' on the tag also omitted to mention anywhere in the jacket where they were made - which makes no sense given the import of being 'made in England'. The concession owner somewhat sheepishly informed me that (surprisingly) the bulk of Barbour waxed clothing was no longer made in the UK - only 'classic' models (e.g. Beaufort, Northumbria, International, Bedale) from the Classic line were still made in the UK. New designs, anything 'seasonal', and most collaboration pieces are not made in the UK. From memory there actually was a whole bunch of Romanian-made Barbour waxed jackets that ended up on Orvis or STP some time ago. And I actually own one non-UK made waxed jacket too - the (now OOP) Antique Heritage Bedale - which I bought in the UK. It's sad, but not surprising - and I would be thrilled to be proven wrong. It's a bit disappointing given how heavily they trade on their 'English-ness' when most items bearing the Barbour name are anything but.

Lord Asquith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AE7
I have Beaufort. I in shoulders its ok, in chest and around waist it fits like tent. I guess it supposed to be this way, because otherwise sleeves would be too short and shoulders to narrow.

But this makes it unusable to wear when its windy and chilly (i.e. when game birds are around) because the cold easily gets underneath the jacket. That is really stupid.

Fits something like this, on H.R.H, with the exception that Beauforts dont have waist or bottom drawstring.

prince-william-428.jpg

Probably an x large since he's tall. Jackets are not really warm so you need room for a sweater.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads