• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to avoid looking "too perfect"?

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I care about the way I look - but according to my wife I look a little bit too put together. I know what she means but I'm unsure how to wear my clothes with more "disrespect."
I have a friend who wears the same stuff - MTM Italian suits etc and he treats his things like crap - tosses them in a heap on a chair all day long etc but when he wears them they look much more a part of him.
He has the most creased linen jacket I've ever seen yet it looks great on.
I, though, look like someone has taken a lot of trouble dressing me perfectly to the last detail.
Do you worry about this? Are there ways you dress as if you don't really care what you've got on?
I'd rather look a little more "couldn't care less."

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting... I actually strive for every detail to be perfectly executed. I dont think I would want to not be perfect in the way I dress.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think the best way to go about it, is to just stop fixing things after you leave the house, dont adjust your tie 100 times a day, ect.

It works in theory.....just not in practice for me, lol.

awxg

Reaction score
It's not perfect until Diavolo gives you an A+

Cior

Reaction score
I think it comes from the drastic differences between you and your friend. I imagine because you described how he "mistreats" his clothes you do not do this. Likewise when you wear them you probably are concerned about creases, drape, tie straightness. I think it comes down to this, you accept that the clothing you put on fits correctly once at the beginning of the day. From then on you concentrate on the task at hand and not whether your pocket square is sticking out too much. Do you check to make sure your fly is buttoned/zipped? Sure. Do you check yourself to the extent that you might be walking down a runway at a fashion show? No. As humans we generally like people who make what they are doing look effortless and easy. Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Please post pictures so we can judge your perfectness.

I have wanted to for a while now but I am a bit paranoid! Whats going on with mafoo doesnt help the cause
patch[1].gif

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think some of you guys are missing what the OP is asking here. I don't think he's saying that he is perfect, rather that he might look like someone who is trying too hard to look good. I think he's saying he wants to achieve a look that is more effortless. Not "Wow, you must have spent hours in front of the mirror!".

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
This is my new favorite thread. Seriously.

I'll wait for some responses and then post some thoughts.

Doc, you and I are on the same wavelength tonight.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
I have wanted to for a while now but I am a bit paranoid! Whats going on with mafoo doesnt help the cause
patch[1].gif

ooh, what? I usually only read SW&D and DT, but it sounds like some hawt gossip be goin' down in MC-land...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OK, I don't think I have ever been accused of looking to perfect. What I do is I put on my clothes in the morning, and then I wear them. I don't throw them in a ball, but I don't take special care either. That is the best I can do for you. Really, if I tried to look perfect I would fail, so I go with what I have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads