1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How to avoid looking "too perfect"?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spectre, Apr 7, 2009.

1. spectre

spectre Senior member

I care about the way I look - but according to my wife I look a little bit too put together. I know what she means but I'm unsure how to wear my clothes with more "disrespect."
    I have a friend who wears the same stuff - MTM Italian suits etc and he treats his things like crap - tosses them in a heap on a chair all day long etc but when he wears them they look much more a part of him.
    He has the most creased linen jacket I've ever seen yet it looks great on.
    I, though, look like someone has taken a lot of trouble dressing me perfectly to the last detail.
    Do you worry about this? Are there ways you dress as if you don't really care what you've got on?
    I'd rather look a little more "couldn't care less."

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is my new favorite thread. Seriously.

I'll wait for some responses and then post some thoughts.

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Yeah, mine too.

4. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

Interesting... I actually strive for every detail to be perfectly executed. I dont think I would want to not be perfect in the way I dress.

5. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Please post pictures so we can judge your perfectness.

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

i think the best way to go about it, is to just stop fixing things after you leave the house, dont adjust your tie 100 times a day, ect.

It works in theory.....just not in practice for me, lol.

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I endorse this message.

8. awxg

awxg Senior member

It's not perfect until Diavolo gives you an A+

9. Cior

Cior Well-Known Member

I think it comes from the drastic differences between you and your friend. I imagine because you described how he "mistreats" his clothes you do not do this. Likewise when you wear them you probably are concerned about creases, drape, tie straightness. I think it comes down to this, you accept that the clothing you put on fits correctly once at the beginning of the day. From then on you concentrate on the task at hand and not whether your pocket square is sticking out too much. Do you check to make sure your fly is buttoned/zipped? Sure. Do you check yourself to the extent that you might be walking down a runway at a fashion show? No. As humans we generally like people who make what they are doing look effortless and easy. Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff.

10. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

Please post pictures so we can judge your perfectness.

I have wanted to for a while now but I am a bit paranoid! Whats going on with mafoo doesnt help the cause [​IMG]

11. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

I think some of you guys are missing what the OP is asking here. I don't think he's saying that he is perfect, rather that he might look like someone who is trying too hard to look good. I think he's saying he wants to achieve a look that is more effortless. Not "Wow, you must have spent hours in front of the mirror!".

12. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

This is my new favorite thread. Seriously.

I'll wait for some responses and then post some thoughts.

Doc, you and I are on the same wavelength tonight.

13. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

I have wanted to for a while now but I am a bit paranoid! Whats going on with mafoo doesnt help the cause [​IMG]
    ooh, what? I usually only read SW&D and DT, but it sounds like some hawt gossip be goin' down in MC-land...

14. samus

samus Senior member

One thing I've learned since joining this forum is the concept of sprezzatura.

15. itsstillmatt

OK, I don't think I have ever been accused of looking to perfect. What I do is I put on my clothes in the morning, and then I wear them. I don't throw them in a ball, but I don't take special care either. That is the best I can do for you. Really, if I tried to look perfect I would fail, so I go with what I have.

16. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

A few "tricks"

-I almost never press my jackets so they wrinkle at the elbows and often are somewhat rumpled all over. I also throw them pretty much anywhere at my place or wherever I am.

-I'm lazy so I often take months/years to do repairs most make within the week; from small rips to lost buttons.

-I don't change to go out or do whatever so I sometimes get spills or worse on my clothes, I usually don't get them cleaned very soon (see above).

-I scuff my shoes ‘cause they're just shoes, I also don't dress according to weather so often end up soaked or messy in a variety of ways.

-If I feel like wearing the same jacket three days in a row I do, remember; no pressing afterwards.

-I don't polish my shoes often although I don't dislike doing it. Mirror shines are for Nazis.

-I don't have 65 jackets and 34 pair of pants, they wear in more quickly.

-Never clean up white shoes or sneakers, they look better dirty.

-I only shave once or twice a week.

-Longer hair, messier hair.

-I smoke and often spill ash on my clothes, I don’t clean up because I’m lazy and I’m going to dirty them again anyway.

-No colourful socks; you look like an anal-retentive child molester.

-Stop doing pocket square origami, just shove it in.

-A nice suit, dress shirt, shoes with a tie is being dressed appropriately, without the tie it’s luxury.

-I’ve been periodically thinking about replacing my wallet for years but always forget, it really does look trashed.

-I almost never button my shirt sleeves.

So basically be a disgusting slob and you should be ok.

1 person likes this.
  17. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

I think tying an imperfect knot or just unbuttoning the top button with tie still tightened really brings a quantum level of sprezzatura that is just so.

18. itsstillmatt

A few "tricks" -I almost never press my jackets so they wrinkle at the elbows and often are somewhat rumpled all over. I also throw them pretty much anywhere at my place or wherever I am. -I'm lazy so I often take months/years to do repairs most make within the week; from small rips to lost buttons. -I don't change to go out or do whatever so I sometimes get spills or worse on my clothes, I usually don't get them cleaned very soon (see above). -I scuff my shoes ‘cause they're just shoes, I also don't dress according to weather so often end up soaked or messy in a variety of ways. -If I feel like wearing the same jacket three days in a row I do, remember; no pressing afterwards. -I don't polish my shoes often although I don't dislike doing it. Mirror shines are for Nazis. -I don't have 65 jackets and 34 pair of pants, they wear in more quickly. -Never clean up white shoes or sneakers, they look better dirty. -I only shave once or twice a week. -Longer hair, messier hair. -I smoke and often spill ash on my clothes, I don’t clean up because I’m lazy and I’m going to dirty them again anyway. -No colourful socks; you look like an anal-retentive child molester. -Stop doing pocket square origami, just shove it in. -A nice suit, dress shirt, shoes with a tie is being dressed appropriately, without the tie it’s luxury. -I’ve been periodically thinking about replacing my wallet for years but always forget, it really does look trashed. -I almost never button my shirt sleeves. So basically be a disgusting slob and you should be ok.
    These are good tips. The only things I do differently are that I wear a tie a lot, I button my shirtsleeves and I fix buttons if they fall off. Other than that, +1.

19. satorstyle

satorstyle Senior member

double dimple your tie.

20. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Don't be too precious about the way you combine things. Develop an eye for color and texture mixing so that you don't fall into a rut of only combining things in an overly matchy or boring way. Even worse, don't go too far in the other direction and start wearing overly clever combinations that look like they were styled for a tacky magazine shoot.