• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How to Avoid Huge Ships

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

If you need a good laugh, just read through the Amazon reviews for this book. I will just post one here, but all of them are GOLD!

A few days ago I was invited to a big party by people I just recently met. Not really knowing anyone there I was standing by the drinks for a while, trying to get a feel of the crowd. When I finally decided to step towards a group of interesting looking folks they quickly scattered away with a frightened look on their faces. At first I felt hurt. Was it my cologne? Did my reputation precede me again? ..It was far worse.. I suddenly felt a tap on my shoulder and when I turned around, I was standing face to face with a huge ship that had sneaked up on me. I panicked, but I didn't have any idea what to do, so I just stood there, frozen. The ship looked at me for a while and then just started yapping on and on about mussels and seagulls and whatnot. I couldn't get a word in edgewise, let alone change the subject. To my horror I was stuck for the entire evening with this huge ship that everyone else avoided so easily. Apparently I was the only one in the room that didn't know how to do that. When in the end of the evening it started to hint it needed her "sinking fixed" and poked me while saying it was feeling "ship horney" and wanted to test my "bow thruster" I knew I had to run for my life. I barely escaped in one piece, so the first thing I did when I was safe at home was order this book. Never again will I be the only one at the party not knowing how to avoid these horrible huge ships, they're lousy conversationalists.
Link to said Book: http://www.amazon.com/Avoid-Huge-Shi...pr_product_top

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like that there is a second edition. Looks like it was necessary after the huge ships read the first edition and came up with new tricks

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's amazing the tactical maneuvering in ship avoidance skills.... like turning right.... or for the more experienced, turning left.

Diagram helps explains these difficult maneuvers:

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is a book called How to Avoid Huge Ships and Other Implausibly Titled Books which is a compendium of the winners of the Bookseller/Diagram Prize for Oddest Title of the Year. I tried to get it via Interlibrary Loan but my library was unable to turn up any available copies.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd really like a copy of this for a coffee table book.

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! a more worthwhile read than almost everything in CE and certainly more worthwhile whan the entire SW&D sub forum.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wallcloud
Wow! a more worthwhile read than almost everything in CE and certainly more worthwhile whan the entire SW&D sub forum.

+1

I cannot believe that even though the reviews are all about just one product, they are all unique and equally hysterical. Wish it wasn't sold out. What a perfect gift or conversational piece on your coffee table.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.