• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to avoid creasing one's shirt while sitting?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is good posture to sit with one's back against the chair in which one is sitting, but doing so often results in putting unsightly creases into one's shirt. Is there a way around this issue? I usually try to make sure that the back of my shirt is perfectly flat before pushing my back into a chair but shirts will rarely remain in that state for long. Is this utterly futile?

bch

Reaction score
Yeah, it's pretty futile. Let it go.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kent: If you can't let it go as bch suggests, then simply change your nick to Adrian Monk.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you arise from the chair and put on your suit coat, the wrinkles will not show.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can ask for "heavy starch" at the dry cleaners.  Unfortunately, this creates another set of problems . . .

ptolbert

Reaction score
Wrinkle free shirts do the trick, though taboo here and at AA, no wrinkles showing.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before sitting, untuck the back of your shirt and insert the chair back between your back and the back of the shirt.

If you follow this advice, seek help...really.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is really an important issue for you, get a kneeling chair.

BjornH

Reaction score
Wear a shirt that fits you, then there is no material to fold and crease against the back of the chair.

B

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't move ever -- stay standing. I don't want to put a wrinkle in all the theories above, but let it go baby.

drljva

Reaction score
If this is really an important issue for you, get a kneeling chair.
Yeah... I've tried that, but it ruins the creases in my slacks. You can't win in this world...
confused.gif
wink.gif

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of healthy back chairs, I went to a local store and bought a really nice one for my office. After only an hour in the one my firm gave me, my back became unbearably sore. Since I had this one delivered, no problems whatsoever. Not a kneeling chair (worried about the pants also). But a really good supportive chair. Cost about $800, and worth every penny. In fact, I found a couple co-workers who bought special chairs (actually look more expensive than mine). So, there must be others there who had the same problems I did.

Nonk

Reaction score
3 solutions present themselves to this problem, I will let you decide on their relative practicality-

1. Do not sit down.
2. Do not wear a shirt when you sit down.
3. Buy some waistcoats.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's like that Seinfeld episode where Jerry, Kramer, et al decide to take off their trousers before sitting down to perserve the crease.

Seinfeld was a very poorly dressed show. I don't watch TV anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads