• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to ask for a haircut in a salon?

dj.sessions

Reaction score
Hey,

I am wonder what is the best way to ask for a haircut in a salon, i mean not like 'Hey , i want a haircut''. I am going to Karma Salon, and I always asked for a haircut that is short, but not too short and layered. I get the best haircut I can get but using these words, but I dont get the perfect haircut yet. So guy, how do you ask for a haircut in your favorite salon.

PS: I have black, wavy hair, and my face is oval-shaped. Im latino with kinda asian eyes, and very light skinned.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just be honest. Tell the stylist exactly what you told us. If you don't know specifically what you want, tell your stylist that and ask for his/her opinion.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good communication is the key to finding a good haircut. Make sure that your consultation with your stylist if thorough before you have your hair shampooed.

dj.sessions

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice musicguy and Maharlika. I will do that in my next visit...I really love that salon...they have given me the best haircuts in my life.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know why your haircut isn't perfect, what you would want different? If you do, one thing you could do is take some digital pictures of it after you get it cut. Bring those pictures with you and tell them like this, except do this differently. The once you get it perfect take pictures of that and bring it with you. It's pretty easy to w/ a digital camera.

dj.sessions

Reaction score
oh yeah i didnt think about that...thank you!
i think i really strive for the prefect cut

raclotz

Reaction score
my hair stylist knows me well as he's styling my hair from the past 5 years now... he knows what i want and i just sit there and relax without worrying about my hair... he always does a good job...

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A picture is worth a thousand words.

So if you can't talk why not draw?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I get a perfect haircut by going to a barber.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talk in a slow, loud voice. Stylists are almost never good listeners.

dj.sessions

Reaction score
ok...I was in the salon today, my sides were uneven. I told Cameron that I will bring pictures of what type of look I want, and she will apply it to my face shape.

Thank you guys!

aleeboy

Reaction score
I've never been good at communicating with hair stylists. My hair is very fine and wavy, so I have been embarrassed bringing pictures in that are not possible.

I have never needed to ask for a particular cut in over 15 years. I just walk in and say trim over the ears, not too short and just make me look as good as I can. Results are ok I guess. Haven't had anyone laugh at me.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just say "buzz it # 1 or three quarters if you have it" trust me always comes out great.

dj.sessions

Reaction score
Ok JoelF!. I will try that
aleeboy ....dude my hair is the same but my is very dense...the stylists always tell me 'you have tons of hair'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics