• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to achieve a high, stiff collar

mullivan

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm looking to have Jantzen create a shirt that I can wear unbuttoned under a suit. I'm trying to achieve a look something along the lines of the below:
Brad%20Pitt%20in%20high%20collar.jpg
Matt%20Damon%20in%20high%20collar.jpg
Any suggestions on collar specifications to provide Ricky? http://www.jantzentailor.com/orderform2006.htm The collars themselves don't appear to be overly large, but they have a nice way of standing upright. Is this more of a case of how the shirt is pressed/starched? Are collar stays a necessity for this?

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
+1 on Wurkin stiffs. Even works on cutaway collars (though it looks weird).

Collar stays, slightly pointed collars will help. Jantzen collars are quite horrible, unless you opt one without the interlinings. They don't give enough space for shrinkage between the collar interlining and collar band. Makes it hard for collars to lay properly.

No problems without the interlinings. Though softer collars are a matter of preference (still works with wurking stiffs!)

Bflo27

Reaction score
Can one use the workin stiffs collar stays with a different shirt each day? Or is it smart to have a pair for each shirt? As you can tell, newbie here but am trying to become a better dresser at the workplace.

athletics

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bflo27
Can one use the workin stiffs collar stays with a different shirt each day? Or is it smart to have a pair for each shirt? As you can tell, newbie here but am trying to become a better dresser at the workplace.

One box comes with 3 sets.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bflo27
You can use just one pair with as many shirts as you want - they are removable, and work just like any other collar stay. Also, if you lose the magnet that keeps the Wurkin' Stiff collar stay 'glued' to the shirt, you're still left with a 'regular' collar stay. Much better IMO than shelling out more for fancy MOP or horn collar stays that serve zero additional purpose and are fragile.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Also, if you lose the magnet that keeps the Wurkin' Stiff collar stay 'glued' to the shirt

Is it easy for this to happen?

Has anyone had experience passing airport security with metal collar stays?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
Is it easy for this to happen?

Has anyone had experience passing airport security with metal collar stays?

Not really in my experience - the magnets are pretty darned strong, and will not come 'unstuck' when you're wearing it. You run a higher chance of losing them when they're being stored methinks.

Yes they will trigger airport security. But really, does it take that much efffort to remove a pair of collar stays?

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about clear metal collar stays?
Elusive yet so 'incrowdish' , for the Igent who likes keeping it real.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I think I will order a set myself.

Cid

Reaction score
I have been using wurkinstiffs for almost 2 years now, and highly recommend them as well. The magnets are strong, but I have dislodged them taking off a tie (forgot to remove the magnets first). The magnets just slid down to my waistband inside my shirt in all but one case where a magnet released itself from my shirt, bounced on the ground and stuck to an unreachable area of my car's tire well... where it remains to this day. They do sell replacement magnets.

The only minor irritation that I have found is that they tend to need adjusting during the day - the magnets work themselves up the stay toward the top of the collar.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few custom shirts with high collars, double button. They look much better than smaller collars when left open, they aren't overpowered by the jacket and pushed down.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Ha, thanks for this. Exactly what I want to find
smile.gif

Me too...
smile.gif

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think collar stays are going to help, at least not in this case. Actually, they'd probably have the opposite effect. Heavy collar stays would just weigh down the collar more, and prevent it from standing up.

The look he is going for is achieved through a shirt with a high collar that is made from thick, sturdy fabric. Collar stays only help the collar tips stay straight, it isn't going to help it stand up at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads