• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to access your old B&S thread - and posting into the new B&S system

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do you go to specific sections like 'Footwear' as in the old pull down menus?

Thanks

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi,

If the page view count is "exposed", then it is easy enough to display, and we'll do that nearly immediately (@admin - let
s bring this up with the designer). If it is not, then displaying it would require a custom add-on, and would not be happening for a while. Yes, it would be a cool feature, as would something like "X number of people are watching this item", but not a top priority for B&S (filters are more important, I feel, though those other things are useful for both sellers, buyers, and driving sales.)

Unfortunately there is no field for shipping charges, and drop down menus for different shipping options, which you would specify, could be a pretty daunting task. Yes, Ebay can do this, but not even specialized platforms like Grailed have this, because it turns out to be a fairly difficult little programming problem, from what I've been told.

For the time being, I would add information like "shipping to the CONUS included - an additional $25 for shipping internationally" within the description. It's hardly a perfect solution, I understand.

Cheers,

Fok.

Thanks for your reply. I liked the listing view count in the old B&S but I agree it is of lower priority.

I specified the overseas shipping cost in the listing and shipping methods in the Terms and Conditions. Will a buyer have to use the "Buy Now" button to pay for the item and then send shipping money separately via paypal? It's not a huge issue as long as both parties are aware of this site limitation. FYI, I've been selling on Grailed for 2 years and have always been able to specify shipping cost by continent. Purchase price automatically reflects the corresponding shipping cost based on the buyer's location. They've been growing their full time engineering team this year and I do notice steady improvement in both the website and the app. Although Grailed platform isn't connected with the carriers', shipping can be done either offline or via paypal's shipping label platform. I have found Grailed listing and check out functionality to be user friendly and adequate. In comparison eBay's listing module isn't very streamlined or considered for clothing items and it still feels so cumbersome to use and the presentation unattractive even after so many years.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how can you bump a classified in the new system?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how can you bump a classified in the new system?
You can "update" your listing. I will be formalizing rules going forward, but the only legitimate reason to be bumping a listing will be a price drop of at least 5%.

Cheers,

Fok.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love SF and will get used to the new B&S system, but I have to admit that I strongly dislike it. I think the old system was much more user friendly and efficient. JMO and please don't take this the wrong way - just wanted to provide some general feedback.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love SF and will get used to the new B&S system, but I have to admit that I strongly dislike it. I think the old system was much more user friendly and efficient. JMO and please don't take this the wrong way - just wanted to provide some general feedback.

Not taking it the wrong way, but I think that after we get some language down better, and with time, you'll find that this B&S system is in fact far superior. The other system was nothing like what we had envisioned before the transition to Huddler, and this one is much more flexible and powerful. But the navigation was a pain, and the rules were shoehorned in there so that we could make the system work. The 15 maximum number of listings, for example, was just silly, but had to be there because of the wierd "bump everything" mechanism. This system is much more flexible in many ways.

That said, we are actively trying to get dev done that will make this system instantly more appealing to all of you.

Cheers.

Fok.

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You can "update" your listing. I will be formalizing rules going forward, but the only legitimate reason to be bumping a listing will be a price drop of at least 5%.

Cheers,

Fok.

@LA Guy PLEASE DO NOT make price drop a requirement for bumping. I've continuously disagreed with this policy adopted by Grailed and I'll resent it if B&S includes this senseless rule, which manipulates pricing and hurts sellers' proper interest, and will ultimately discourage them from selling and hurt buyers' interest.

Price determined solely by supply and demand is fundamental for a free market that any marketplaces should respect. Price drop to bump sends the message to a seller that their price is too high and to a buyer that no price truly reflects an item's value to a seller. But neither is necessarily true and this policy will only lead to meaningless and irrelevant prices just to allow a listing to be bumped. Sellers' freedom to offer their best price from the beginning and a healthy level of trust between buyers and sellers will all be damaged by this policy. It will turn our activities here into just a number game while our sense of reward from knowing our listings have benefited someone is completely replaced by money that's not enough to justify our effort.

We all know the importance of bumping comes from sellers' lack of tools to improve listing visibility, which B&S should seek solution from updating search, filter, and listing format, etc. Using price drop as a lever sabotages both buyers and sellers' interest, as well as confidence and trust in the marketplace.

I think people will always be more patient with growing pains of a new thing than to tolerate using flawed policies to hide real issues.

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers,

Fok.
how do you do that? Some directions or a "how-to" guide would really be helpful.

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
how do you do that? Some directions or a "how-to" guide would really be helpful.

At the moment you can click on "Update your resource" within your listing and type anything such as "update" in the subject and content field and hit post, and then your listing will be bumped.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the moment you can click on "Update your resource" within your listing and type anything such as "update" in the subject and content field and hit post, and then your listing will be bumped.

It's true, and open to abuse. We will be instituing clear guidelines on things in a couple of weeks after looking at user behaviour.

Cheers,

Fok.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@LA Guy PLEASE DO NOT make price drop a requirement for bumping. I've continuously disagreed with this policy adopted by Grailed and I'll resent it if B&S includes this senseless rule, which manipulates pricing and hurts sellers' proper interest, and will ultimately discourage them from selling and hurt buyers' interest.

Price determined solely by supply and demand is fundamental for a free market that any marketplaces should respect. Price drop to bump sends the message to a seller that their price is too high and to a buyer that no price truly reflects an item's value to a seller. But neither is necessarily true and this policy will only lead to meaningless and irrelevant prices just to allow a listing to be bumped. Sellers' freedom to offer their best price from the beginning and a healthy level of trust between buyers and sellers will all be damaged by this policy. It will turn our activities here into just a number game while our sense of reward from knowing our listings have benefited someone is completely replaced by money that's not enough to justify our effort.

We all know the importance of bumping comes from sellers' lack of tools to improve listing visibility, which B&S should seek solution from updating search, filter, and listing format, etc. Using price drop as a lever sabotages both buyers and sellers' interest, as well as confidence and trust in the marketplace.

I think people will always be more patient with growing pains of a new thing than to tolerate using flawed policies to hide real issues.
I'll keep that in mind, and we are working on filters. However, unolimited bumps essentially killed the Superfuture B&S, so that will not be an option either. We may institute a bump every 7-14 days, and allow additional bumps with payment, as per the last system. This allows users to assess the value of more frequent bumps individually.

Cheers,

Fok.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Paid system like last iteration would be ideal

It's pretty much a fact that if you let your listing languish, you won't get any sales. Hardly anyone reads past the first page or so of listings..

Applying a little currency to fix that is a fair trade off if you've got good stuff that people want.

Booter

Reaction score
How do you close the classified once the "resource" is sold? Remove from sale says it will remove it "from the database."

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads