1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How the hell do you guys deal with your cotton pants in the summer?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Patek, Jun 23, 2011.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

It's called a travel iron! Or if you're a bigtimer traveling businessman, get a hotel valet service to press them! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TRA8324

TRA8324 Senior member

Also, heavier cotton will generally wrinkle less than lightweight cotton.

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Cotton pants are casual, so wrinkles are OK. I quickly iron mine before every wear and cease giving a damn after that. Also, I don't wash them after every wear. Only when they get dirty.
    This, except I don't even bother to iron them between wears. [​IMG] (However, I don't live in a high humidity climate, nor do I walk miles in them, so I suspect that impacts on just how wrinkled they are at the end of a day).

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i just go pantless

5. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

not sure what you do in your cotton pants, but my pants are just fine form regular wearing. I tend to wash mine when needed - try it sometime.
    +1 But I do live in a Desert (L.A. Area)

6. Patek

Patek Senior member

Well, a travel iron is a "no" for a variety of reasons. The first one being that in the US, all hotels have irons in the room. I use the irons and am always disapointed when I travel overseas as you have to request one.

Hotel valet are available at some hotels but many times I am in a Hilton or Marriott motel chain as that is the best lodging available so that is out of the question. In addition, late arrivials and early departures make that option impossible.

7. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

I've learned to embrace them to a certain point. It's expected with cotton. I wouldn't tolerate any wrinkling with wool but with fabrics like cotton and especially linen, it's inevitable.

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

9. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

Try linen pants. They never wrinkle.

On the contrary, linen wrinkles like crazy. Certainly more than cotton.

10. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

Now, thanks to SF, I'm starting to add more chinos and cotton pants into the mix. However, I find that they are only good for one wearing as they get wrinkled and show dirt. They are a pain to wash and iron and I can't be bothered to take them to the cleaners all of the time.

Err, how do you iron your shirts?

Its the same thing. Just toss the cotton pants into the washer, hot iron it and good as new.

If you are a true SFer, you would iron with a cloth on top of it. But remember to always iron on the same side of the cloth. If not, the dirt etc of the cloth will be transferred to the cotton pants.

If you are a true card carrying member of SFer, you would iron in one direction only, from up to down.

The same would apply when you stay at hotels. Ask for a hot iron and iron it with the cloth.

11. comrade

comrade Senior member

I hate, hate, hate the wrinkles. Not to get all DT, but sometimes I over-caffinate and have to take a dump as soon as I get to work. If I'm wearing cotton trousers, I spend the whole day wrinkled.

No shit.

12. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

I've also observed that my BB Advantage Chinos are hard to get wrinkled.

13. comrade

comrade Senior member

I hate, hate, hate the wrinkles. Not to get all DT, but sometimes I over-caffinate and have to take a dump as soon as I get to work. If I'm wearing cotton trousers, I spend the whole day wrinkled.

No shit.

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I've also observed that my BB Advantage Chinos are hard to get wrinkled.
    After a full night and day of air travel I was surprised that my BB ACs maintained a nice crease and were essentially wrinkle-free. I walked into my hotel and a couple of people commented on how fresh I looked compared to the others traveling with me. [​IMG]

15. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wear cotton wrinkled, it's no big deal. Press them when they need a crease and only clean them when they are dirty or stained. The appearance of cotton & linen are the same animal to me.

16. Mr Pelican Pants

Mr Pelican Pants Well-Known Member

Iron them or don't worry about it. Those are pretty much the choices.

17. mrbateman

mrbateman Well-Known Member

I hate wrinkles in pants and find that even with wool pants I get them. Specifically, I always get a wrinkle right under my belt caused from me sitting down and the excess material sort of bulding up orgathering. Also sometimes get wrinkles around the inside of my thighs from sitting. Ach, I know I am OCD!

18. NickPollica

NickPollica Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Wrinkled cotton chinos still look more put together than denim any day of the week.

19. marg

marg Senior member

I have 4 pairs of BB chinos, 2 tan, 2 navy. I rotate them along with light-weight wool dress pants and other casual chinos for the summer business casual routine. The few wrinkles actually present fall out after a couple days on the hanger.

20. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

It's no big deal. Just iron them after wearing. Yeah creases will show up. You can't always look like a clothing model or a WAYWRN pic. Try different pants too. I have some pants that are very thin and wrinkle too easily. I have others that hold up well after many wears without washing/ironing. I like cotton. Wool doesn't do this as much, but it provides a different aesthetic. I like cotton pants.