• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Suit Fit and What to wear with?

Dperedo97

Reaction score
Hello,
I’m getting married in 30 days. Just had my intermediate fitting for a custom suit today - they need to fix length in pants otherwise pictures below will be the suit I wear for my wedding. To be honest I realized when I got there that I didn’t even know what I was looking for in my assessment of the suit. I would describe fit as comfortably snug, feels good.

The suit is black but I wish it was a darker black. Oh well, when I picked out the fabric I wasn’t able to envision the suit and it appeared much darker. Not the best lighting either but let me know what you guys think.

90CC0613-EEF8-449C-8BBF-4F420F50DDCB.jpeg

E6E5EA09-F6B1-4220-9828-95A7B58461A5.jpeg

68780EFB-BCDB-42BC-8634-132E5769B1EC.jpeg

564E706C-33D3-4323-B6DE-4F52E7DB1B84.jpeg

Dperedo97

Reaction score
Should note I may or may not be wearing a bow tie - just wanted to try it with the suit while I was there

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer this shade of black and the fit appears perfect. Forego the bowtie since it is a dark black. I think you were preferring the ideao of a black tuxedo for your wedding but this shade of black is better ongoing.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just my $.02:

-Jacket is too short.
-I also would have picked a more versatile color(ie navy.)
-I would def go with a white shirt for the wedding.
-Make sure your shirt sleeves are long enough to see some cuff. Right now, you can't see any.
-Always wear proper shoes when getting measured/fitted/receiving the final product.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
I agree with Mr. Dinosaur on most counts, esp. the length of the jacket. At the same time I acknowledge that given the less than adequate zeitgeist, this has become a question of personal preference and companies now flood the racks with sweater-length suit jackets. But I see a greater issue with the jacket. In one of your pictures you can see in the mirror a substantial collar roll pattern developing in the upper central trapezius region of your back. This must be addressed, or else you should see to it that nobody at the function sees you from behind.

Last edited:

Dperedo97

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer this shade of black and the fit appears perfect. Forego the bowtie since it is a dark black. I think you were preferring the ideao of a black tuxedo for your wedding but this shade of black is better ongoing.

Thanks! Yea I personally did not want a tuxedo at all but my fiancé mentioned after the fact it would make her happy to see me in a bowtie so I just trialed it at the place. A navy suit would have been better for the bow tie. I regret not doing a navy suit to be honest but I’m just trying to get past that and enjoy this one I chose.

Just my $.02:

-Jacket is too short.
-I also would have picked a more versatile color(ie navy.)
-I would def go with a white shirt for the wedding.
-Make sure your shirt sleeves are long enough to see some cuff. Right now, you can't see any.
-Always wear proper shoes when getting measured/fitted/receiving the final product.

Thanks for the tips! Some comments thou to clarify,

- The shirt I am wearing is the one I just so happen to be wearing as I came from work. It’s loose and my sleeves are rolled up underneath the jacket so that’s why you can’t see the cuff and it looks baggy above the vest
- I’m definitely wearing a well fitting white shirt (collar suggestion?)
- I have a final fitting next week and will definitely bring a proper pair of shoes - good tip
-BTW I’m also having regrets about not picking navy - not because I don’t like this suit just feel i would’ve liked it more. But I digress, moving on
- As @Jan Capek mentioned regarding the jacket length I actual am happy with it - it’s just preference - would even go shorter but not gunna push for it. I’m not tall at all and I feel any longer I would look shorter and stubbier.

Anyways. Thanks for the tips!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yea I personally did not want a tuxedo at all but my fiancé mentioned after the fact it would make her happy to see me in a bowtie so I just trialed it at the place. A navy suit would have been better for the bow tie. I regret not doing a navy suit to be honest but I’m just trying to get past that and enjoy this one I chose.

- I’m definitely wearing a well fitting white shirt (collar suggestion?)

- As @Jan Capek mentioned regarding the jacket length I actual am happy with it - it’s just preference - would even go shorter but not gunna push for it. I’m not tall at all and I feel any longer I would look shorter and stubbier.

Haha. To be honest with you......I see this mistake all throughout and outside of Styleforum:

The finance dictates what the future groom will wear while the groom has no input in what the bride to be will wear. Don't fall into that trap going fwd. That being said........

-Navy would be 100% better...based on what part of the world you live. I say that because in some Asian countries, black suits are the norm....so you can get by with that.
-The jacket is short. I understand that is what you may prefer. However, it is VERY short.
-Spread collar for the wedding.
-I would not bother wearing the vest. Why? Because you can see your belt buckle. That's something your tailor should know to prevent/adjust pre alterations.

Listen...all the fashion advice you are given means nada. You have less than 30 days until you get married.

I would get fitted 1 more time....wear a white shirt and a nice tie.......skip the vest and enjoy your special day. The day is not about the suit...it is about the vows you and your fiancé make to each other. I can not recall any wedding that I have attended where I can remember what the groom wore.

I am guessing that the people who are attending are family/friends. They won't care what you walk out wearing.
Congrats and enjoy!

(Just don't let your bride to be dictate what you wear going fwd. Don't be one of THOSE guys!)

Dperedo97

Reaction score
Thanks for input.

Lace up or loafer shoes for this you think ?

Loafers tend to make my legs look less short and make my pants look less wrinkly at bottom (which I guess is why I should have wore dress shoes with measurements.)

Nonetheless. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No loafers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads