• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How snug should shoes be/ Will they stretch?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a rule of thumb as to how snugly leather dress shoes should fit? Mine have an all-over snugness, but I'm worried about my foot expanding throughout the day. Will leather shoes stretch out? I'm worried about going a 1/2 size up, since they might be too big, and might cause my foot to 'slide', causing blisters, or 'slip' in the heel area when I walk.

Right now, I can walk in these without tying the laces...that is now snug they are. Good thing or bad?

worship.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you try a search? This topic - your exact question even - seems to come up once every week or two.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My rule of thumb is if they feel good with no pinching when you put them on and walk across the room, you are OK. Shoes will stretch a bit, but if they are quite uncomfortable from the get go, I think they are unlikely to get much better.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
My rule of thumb is if they feel good with no pinching when you put them on and walk across the room, you are OK. Shoes will stretch a bit, but if they are quite uncomfortable from the get go, I think they are unlikely to get much better.

Thanks...the snugness is pretty uniform around the shoe, so that's a good sign I guess. The only thing I really feel when walking is the line where the shoe 'creases' when walking (they're cap toes, so the line just behind the cap) when it presses onto the top of my foot.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that is normal and will probably go away with time. If you are worried, go in and try on the next half-size up to see how it feels, but it sounds to me like those shoes fit you.

samurai

Reaction score
Better a little snug than a little loose. Your referance to sliding in your shoes makes me think you have bought too big in the past. I've done this too. An insole can fix that.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I think that is normal and will probably go away with time. If you are worried, go in and try on the next half-size up to see how it feels, but it sounds to me like those shoes fit you.

Thanks again. I just wore them around for about 10 minutes, and even after such a short time, they are feeling better.
smile.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my experience if they're new and they dont have any tight spots, they will be loose after a few weeks.

Even when they're just a hair uncomfortable when new they loosen up a good bit and become comfortable quickly.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be sure to shop for shoes at the end of the day, when your feet have swollen. When trying on the shoes, they should not cause the slightest discomfort in the showroom. They will stretch and conform to your feet and there may be a break in period. If, after a reasonable amount of time, they are not conformable to wear for a full day, then (attempt) to return them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads