• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How snug/loose should brand new loafers fit?

johnation33

Reaction score
How snug/loose should brand new loafers fit? I bought new C&J Harvard and Crawford loafers that I plan on wearing without socks, and they are very very snug on my feet. The back of my heel is raw, and the shoe is very snug wrapping around my feet.

I bought these loafers to have very comfortable shoes at the office, but right now it is not comfortable at all.

Is it because I am barefoot and the shoes have not broken in yet? How much can I expect the leather to stretch?

Toe does not hit the top so I don't have any problems with length, more width and the heel of the shoe area rubbing against my bare skin.

Can I expect these shoes to loosen up and give me more airspace inside?

The store salesman said I should get these and not the shoes one size up because they will loosen, but I am feeling very skeptical of this now.

Please help!

Last edited:

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How snug/loose should brand new loafers fit? I bought new C&J Harvard and Bury loafers that I plan on wearing without socks, and they are very very snug on my feet. The back of my heel is raw, and the shoe is very snug wrapping around my feet.

I bought these loafers to have very comfortable shoes at the office, but right now it is not comfortable at all.

Is it because I am barefoot and the shoes have not broken in yet? How much can I expect the leather to stretch?

Toe does not hit the top so I don't have any problems with length, more width and the heel of the shoe area rubbing against my bare skin.

Can I expect these shoes to loosen up and give me more airspace inside?

The store salesman said I should get these and not the shoes one size up because they will loosen, but I am feeling very skeptical of this now.

Please help!

What kind of leather are the loafers? Even cordovan will loosen up a bit. Calfskin, more and suede even more. I have suede loafers that were tight at first, and became sloppy after 10 wears.

TOstyle

Reaction score
You definitely have to work them in. Going sockless on the first few wears is a recipe for dee-stroy-ed feet. I've learned that lesson well.

Best advice I can give you is wear them in at home with a thick pair of socks, and wear them with little socklets when you do want a barefoot look (they are minimal, but help with some of the areas that experience the most rubbing/chaffing/gnawing.

And yeah, @jerrybrowne is right - they'll stretch out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads