How skinny is too skinny?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TyCooN, Feb 22, 2011.

1. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

KitAkira made a shrewd observation a while ago that no one over (and possibly including) size 32 should wear skinny jeans. I would add that to make it work with a 31-32, you'd better be over 6 ft. Also, no one who has ever asked for a thigh measurement should consider wearing skinny jeans no matter what their waist size. but these, these are fucking tights.

2. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Senior member

Forum members are a laughingstock and don't even know it:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Haha no one here cares what backcountry peons think about fashion

3. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Well-Known Member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Isn't miller lights' primary demographic like, conservative blue collar males? To what extent, and in what company does style (especially well fitting clothing) actually signal negative status?

4. Lafayette

Lafayette Active Member

To what extent, and in what company does style (especially well fitting clothing) actually signal negative status?

I'm from Indiana. Around here, if you tuck in your shirt, people will ask, "Why are you so dressed up?" Throw in a fresh shave and polished shoes, and there are suspicions.

I'm only slightly exaggerating.

5. Lel

Lel Senior member

Fuck, what will I do now that I am scorned by drinkers of Miller Lite? Though, the jeans posted are too skinny and the model used for them isn't skinny enough. The problem isn't skinny jeans, it's non-skinny people fitting into them. EDIT: Should be noted that a lot of skinny denim has a good amount of stretch in them, making them more comfortable than most slim raw denim.

6. osadolor619

osadolor619 Senior member

Yo... where are you supposed to put your nuts? Tuck em in?

7. Jared7

Jared7 Senior member

510's are about as skinny as I will go.

8. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Senior member

I'm from Indiana. Around here, if you tuck in your shirt, people will ask, "Why are you so dressed up?" Throw in a fresh shave and polished shoes, and there are suspicions.

I'm only slightly exaggerating.

What part of Indiana is this? I lived in Munster and Hammond for almost two years and I have NEVER been in that kind of situation.

Assuming by the name of your username, you are somewhere closed to Purdue University is located, right?

9. IsteRed

IsteRed Senior member

I think the only way to wear this is with its fly open and penis out.

10. conador

conador Member

Too skinny is when you have limited range of motion. Then fashion becomes a serious liability.

11. Lafayette

Lafayette Active Member

What part of Indiana is this? I lived in Munster and Hammond for almost two years and I have been in that kind of situation.

Assuming by the name of your username, you are somewhere closed to Purdue University is located, right?

Yep, Lafayette. Technically, Purdue is West Lafayette, but it's still standard dress down attire for the majority of the populace.

Interestingly, I recently went through a photo album of a small Indiana town where my grandfather grew up. The compilation was from the past 100 years or so, spanning from the end of the Civil War through the modern era ("modern" for the book ending in the 1960s/70s). The men and women, most of whom lived pretty hard lives through some pretty hard times, were almost always well dressed and well groomed. Part of being a "real man" in those days meant dressing up. Even people living in run down, falling apart houses had on button up shirts with ties.

12. Lane

Lane Senior member

I think skinny jeans look better than a beer belly popping out from dad jeans.

13. Peter1

Peter1 Senior member

Any wide deviation from the 501 fit qualifies as a trend, and thus is era-dependent. In the late 60s/early 70s the style was skinny as eff to the knee, then a big flare. And reference the Ramones in 1978...ouch...those are basic 501s sized down like 3...

It's also true that spandex will make skinny jeans pretty comfortable. As has been pointed out before nearly all women's jeans have 1-2%. Women hate diaper butt more than men...

14. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Modern women also hate real denim and durability at this point, off topic...

15. pseudonym

pseudonym Senior member

KitAkira made a shrewd observation a while ago that no one over (and possibly including) size 32 should wear skinny jeans. I would add that to make it work with a 31-32, you'd better be over 6 ft. Also, no one who has ever asked for a thigh measurement should consider wearing skinny jeans no matter what their waist size. but these, these are fucking tights.

This is, more or less, true.

But I wear size 30 in 511s when my waist is 32". So...