• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how should untucked sport shirts fit?

youalreadyknow

Reaction score
This is my first post here, so go easy on me...I looked around and didn't find the exact answer i'm looking for. During the summer I love wearing shorts and sport shirts, but i'm curious as to how long the shirts should hang when untucked. Currently I wear the classic fit, but lately i've thinking of going for the slim custom fit. If someone could point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it. Here's some pics of how I currently wear my sport shirts:
front.jpg
side.jpg

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usualy you want them to be shorter at the bottom if your going to wear them untucked or they will look blousy on you, which the one in the picture dose.

Mr. Caber

Reaction score
I believe there are shirts designed to be untucked. The one you have on is cut longer front and back to be tucked in. Look for one that's uniform length.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sad as it is if you want to look sharp you probably can't wear a shirt that tucks in satisfactorily untucked and vice versa.
Well at least that's my experience.

I have found J crew casual shirts come up pretty short, almost too short to stay tucked in, and I don't imagine they are very expensive, maybe you could get some for dedicated untucked wear?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
untucked sport shirts should have square [straight] bottoms.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some Martin & Osa sport shirts that work well untucked. I think Uniqlo has some as well. They have a more squared bottom as a tailor mentioned.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
untucked sport shirts should have square [straight] bottoms.
That's a good general rule, but I also think that a shirt tail like the OP is wearing can look great untucked provided that the shirt is tailored close to the body. I have several linen shirts, for instance, that I've had tapered and darted so that they come in at my waist and then flare out just a bit over my hips. I always get compliments on them.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like everyone else has already said, your shirt is a little too long to be worn untucked.

J. Crew sells some decent shirts that work well untucked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads