• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How should pants fit?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milecargo
Tight clothing is acceptable in Orange County where I live, especially among the under 25 age group.
That settles it. If they do it in Orange County, it must be wrong. I am reminded of an interview with a hip, modern guy circa 1973 who emphasized the importance of pants and shirt being the same shade of burgundy, and both being tight.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoStyle14
Is there anything wrong with liking a boot cut style opening?

No.

milecargo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
From Andrew Rogers. And they're actually a lot looser than they look- 19" knee and 17" bottom, which are positively massive compared to David Reeves' trousers, which look great.

3902178476_d60a2816a5.jpg

twas a daring shirt/pant pairing...

milecargo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
That settles it. If they do it in Orange County, it must be wrong. I am reminded of an interview with a hip, modern guy circa 1973 who emphasized the importance of pants and shirt being the same shade of burgundy, and both being tight.

k.

milecargo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
Do you even have to ask? Tight clothing is not masculine.

tight clothing is masculine if the man wearing them is masculine.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
From Andrew Rogers. And they're actually a lot looser than they look- 19" knee and 17" bottom, which are positively massive compared to David Reeves' trousers, which look great.

3902178476_d60a2816a5.jpg

In January, I expect to start seeing videos of your work. Remember that.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
twas a daring shirt/pant pairing...
Quite right. I hadn't worn them like that- I finished making them and threw them on to shoot for a blog posting. Next time Ièll change my shirt too.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by haganah
In January, I expect to start seeing videos of your work. Remember that.
Working on that.

Originally Posted by Bird's One View
Looks like you did all the tapering below the knee at the inside seam. Is that so?

No, it's balanced to both seams, but it's straight from halfway between the knee and bottom. (Um, does that make sense to anyone?)

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tight clothing is masculine if the man wearing them is masculine.

I don't care if Sean Connery wears it. Men wear clothing that fits.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If tight clothing makes you look femine then you're femine and should stick to your burka.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spats
Wow, where did you find the chalkstripe spandex, and are those anatomically correct?

I guess you've never seen a pair of bespoke trousers before?

Don't worry, everyone was a small-timer once...

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I guess you've never seen a pair of bespoke trousers before?

Don't worry, everyone was a small-timer once...

A) I don't wish to start a pissing match.
B) I have, never owned any, but by their very definition, I think bespoke means making what the customer requested, so, at times in the past bespoke trousers could have been quite voluminous. If those you pictured are yours, congratulations.
C) As someone who is old enough to remember "high-waters" and Jim Morrison etc. (as a live person, not a fetish) I can't say "I've seen it all," but these things do seem to go round in circles.

In conclusion, my somewhat snide comment serves to caution one of that, and I hope all you young blades don't sink too much into expensive and tight fitting pants that you'll cringe to look at, down the road. It's a long happy life, and it tends to be broadening (especially in the pants). Shame to throw out a lot of out-of-fashion high water leggings.

Sir James

Reaction score
Originally Posted by [savage]
No. They should be as tight as possible. If anything have them taken in by half and inch to an inch. You should only ever be able to zip up your dress pants while laying down on the floor and sucking in your gut.

That is funny!
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads