How should I wear a sweater vest?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Razeus, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Razeus

Razeus Senior member

Just got a real nice one due to clearance sales going on at all these stores.

I never worn one before. It's a gold/orange color. Do I wear one with short sleeve polo's? Or can I wear them with my usual long sleeve cotton button downs?

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Long sleeve button downs. I wear them under sport coats mostly. They look good with ties.

3. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

Wearing them with a polo will make it look like you are out to shoot 18 holes. I only have one that I got from BR in a plain navy blue. Looks fine with a button down. Sometimes I put a tie with it and jeans. Make sure the vest fits close to the body though, otherwise it looks weird. I had to tack down the sides of the $10 crappy BR one I have.

A pic of the vest would be good too.

4. Razeus

Razeus Senior member

Ok so this dark gold sweater vest over a black long sleeve button down and brown all wool pants (dark brown like chocolate). How would that look?

5. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Ok so this dark gold sweater vest over a black long sleeve button down and brown all wool pants (dark brown like chocolate). How would that look?

Hmm, do you have a blue shirt? I think gold vest over black shirt would look a little dramatic. But then again, I think all black shirts are dramatic. Hard to say.

6. Razeus

Razeus Senior member

^

I have a blue shirt, but it's a baby/sky/light blue oxford style button down by Michael Kors. Don't know how that'll hold up with brown pants though.

7. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

^

I have a blue shirt, but it's a baby/sky/light blue oxford style button down by Michael Kors. Don't know how that'll hold up with brown pants though.

I have a similar shirt in white. It sounds like it would work well with the vest. I think black would be a little too early 90s / In Living Color.