1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How should I get my cow butchered

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by LA Guy, Oct 20, 2011.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm getting 1/2 a cow (1/2 a black angus steer, grass fed and grain finished to be accurate), and honestly, have no idea how I should get it butchered. I will obviously get some ground, and some steak, and probably some made into sausage (there is a guy who does metwurst) but I'm really at a loss. There are going to be about 250 lbs of beef altogether. Anyone passing through Moscow ID, I can promise you some kick ass meat to eat.

Ideas? Halp?

2. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

briskets for smoking? bones for soup? marrow to roast? tail for braising?

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Holy crap. I hope you have a big freezer. I guess it depends on which cuts you like to eat, and how you like to eat them. Personally, since you are a family of at least 4, I would have my steaks, rib, NY and fillet, cut at least double thick. Have stew meat cut into cubes, rather than having it whole. That will make life easier. You are going to end up with a shitload of beef.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Id have the ribeye kept whole, in case you feel like doing a prime rib for xmas or easter. Its easy to cut your own steaks if you choose not to cook it whole.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Are you just going to bury it in the yard for "cold" storage? How the fuck are you going to keep 250lbs of beauf?

6. LA Guy

Thanks guys.

I'll keep all of that in mind. We also do a fair bit of ground and cube steak from less desirable areas - I like to make skillet burgers throughout the year, and have a weakness for minute steak from my youth. The idea about keeping the roast whole.

Matt, how thick is double thick? like, 3 inches? Also, any suggestions on decent, but not uber expensive, knives, and sharpening stones, irons? My current knives could not cut through butter. But I don't need anything awesome. It would be like giving me one of those sharkskin swimsuits. I'd still finish is the lowest recorded time, and possibly drown.

We have a big ass freezer. When the apocalypse comes, trepassers will be shot on site.

7. LA Guy

Matt, I'm coming to SF in a few weeks. Not much time, but I'll be staying in Union Square (not cool, but close to where I need to be) and I can bring you some stuff - I think that I can fit some dry ice into my carry-on. The steak is being butchered today. I guarantee that it's better than most stuff you can pick up in SF. These local farmers really know their stuff.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

LA guy, I am crazy jealous. nothing to add about butching, but I am jealous

9. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

My friends mom used to do this, and we'd eat steak all year whenever I visited my friend's house (daily) - just pan steak and huge broccoli florets, more like trees. If it were me I'd want the brisket, the ribeye, and the chateaubriand left whole so that I could smoke the briskets and cut the ribeyes and filets down for big parties or week long orgies of steak, the short ribs trimmed to Korean galbi cuts, the thighs cut into cheap steaks, tail, etc, etc, then the rest ground, and all of the marrow bones split. a 2" thick steak is serious shit, it will take some time to cook too. You can feed 2-3 on a big 2" steak.

10. LA Guy

I cut to 1", I think.

11. Bradden

Bradden Well-Known Member

get a decent vaccuum sealer to make sure you don't freezer burn that meat !!

12. LA Guy

yeah, the butcher will do all of that for us...

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

1/2? Holy crap. My parents typically order 1/8, and while that's not their only beef (still occasionally buy some from the store), it's a fair amount. As for the butchering, the way theirs works is they get 1/8 of all the various parts. The cow is butchered, then split up evenly among the orders. There's an assortment of steaks, roasts, ground, tips, and everything else you can imagine.

Also, grass fed beef fresh from the farmer is tasty as all hell.

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

how much does half a cow cost?

15. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

I can't believe no one has mentioned the I Love Lucy "Side of Beef" episode

[​IMG]

16. bBoy JEe

bBoy JEe Senior member

Make sure you get some tri-tips or some cowboy steaks or some or the harder to find cuts. I would also get the briskets. Bones for soup.