• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How should French Cuffs fit your wrists?

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
They should come to thr wrist and no further, you want at least 1/4 inch to show when wearing a jacket.
That's obvious and true for every kind of shirt cuff. But the input about how tight they should be helped me a lot, thanks guys.

jmoody15

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
They should come to thr wrist and no further, you want at least 1/4 inch to show when wearing a jacket.

Some more quality advice here. Good work

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Sorry for the terrible photo, but this is all I can muster and the moment:

NewImage-7.jpg

What kind of cufflinks are you wearing?
confused.gif

Originally Posted by gdl203
IMO, if you can take the shirt off or put it on with the links on, it's too wide.

Clearly.

Originally Posted by stuarts8
Sorry i do not agree. Sometimes I like to be able to remove the shirt for a while and put a more casual one on, and I hang the shirt up with the links left in so all I need to do is put the shirt on rather than having to put the links in again.
Stuarts8

Better make sure not to untie your ties either; may save some more time.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I'll disagree. I have a few FC shirts that i can take on and off with links in. They are tailored to the correct length. And unless you're buying MTM or bespoke, you will have zero control over this because there is variation even within the same brand.

Further, exactly one person will know exactly how tight your cuffs fit--you.

b

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
And I'll disagree. I have a few FC shirts that i can take on and off with links in. They are tailored to the correct length. And unless you're buying MTM or bespoke, you will have zero control over this because there is variation even within the same brand.

Further, exactly one person will know exactly how tight your cuffs fit--you.

b

+1

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
And I'll disagree. I have a few FC shirts that i can take on and off with links in. They are tailored to the correct length. And unless you're buying MTM or bespoke, you will have zero control over this because there is variation even within the same brand

I'm not saying one should obsess about it, especially as you say if the shirt is OTR and there's not much to do about it. That said, ideally, the cuff should not be so wide as to slip on and off IMO. It makes for an oversized french cuff that's not as elegant as one that fits a bit more snuggly.

pnin22

Reaction score
I am curious about possible solutions for a french cuff that fits too large. The shirt in question is a Banana Republic "slim fit" FC. I've not yet washed it and don't know if it'll shrink, but as of now I can slide by wrist into the cuff without taking out the link. They also seem to hang a bit lower on my wrist than I'd like when wearing under a jacket.

Can one buy some cuff links that fit tight, so as to close the cuff further? I suppose I can make some with a pair of buttons...

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am curious about possible solutions for a french cuff that fits too large. The shirt in question is a Banana Republic "slim fit" FC. I've not yet washed it and don't know if it'll shrink, but as of now I can slide by wrist into the cuff without taking out the link. They also seem to hang a bit lower on my wrist than I'd like when wearing under a jacket.

Can one buy some cuff links that fit tight, so as to close the cuff further? I suppose I can make some with a pair of buttons...

There are a few options for this.

1. Have your tailor shorten the sleeves--the best option, IMO.

2. Buy snap cuff-links which will tend to hold the cuff tighter than chain- or bar-linked cuff-links. Silk knots will probably also close the cuff tighter. Both snap cuff-links and silk knots can be had for cheap. Check a flea market for the former and any men's shop for the latter.

b

mhdena

Reaction score
French cuffs are longer than barrel cuffs by design.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads