• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How should a trench coat fit?

irishnick

Reaction score
A few months ago I bought the trench coat pictured below from JCrew. I chose it thinking I would wear it with suits. I'm only 24 so I thought something more formal might look like too much. I also figured I could wear it with jeans sometimes. Anyway, I am 6-4 and bought the regular version before I realized there was a tall version. I am considering returning it but it seems to fit ok. So my question is how should a trench coat fit? Should it be extra long in the sleeves and completely cover the shirt and suit sleeves? How close to the knee should it come?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trench sleeves should cover the sleeves of both shirt and suit. Length is a personal preference, I personally like mine right around the knee. The other option is a full length which will fall somewhere below the knee.

You don't want to try anything that falls more than a few inches (maybe 6) above the knee. A cropped trench is waaaay too feminine IMO.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by irishnick
Ok thanks. I am going to go for the tall.

Probably best, especially considering sleeve length.

Casey

Reaction score
If you are 6 foot 4, then maybe the tall would be good for you. I don't necessarily think that a shorter trench is a bad thing but with your height, it might look a little silly if it's TOO short.

billsayers

Reaction score
I agree, isn't that a Macintosh coat?

I went shopping for trench coats recently and I noticed the most of the new designs fall above the knee and are cut rather slim. The sleeves are all relatively longer than a comparable sized suit jacket - regardless of whether it is a raglan sleeve or traditional shoulder design.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer to wear mine as a cool-weather coat and not specifically for rain. There's really nothing I find less attractive than an oversized billowy trench coat. Here's mine - my uncle's Baltimore-made London Fog from the early 60s. I prefer the shorter sleeves and length, despite making me more prone to getting wet in the rain. Probably my favorite jacket. My moms is wearing a nice coat too.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 133 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 250 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 120 15.6%
  • 31 - 40