• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Should a Senior in High School Dress?

Exigence

Reaction score
I apologize if this thread is out of place and I should just come back when I am in college - but I'd really appreciate some advice on expanding my wardrobe in order to: create a more matured look to match my demeanor, prepare for the transition into college, as well as to stand out as someone who cares about his appearance among hoards of guys who wear unfitted tshirts with athletic shorts each day.

Currently, I usually wear vintage shirts, polo or plaid shirts paired with darker Levi 514s and low-top dark blue Chuck Taylors. From what I've read, I should invest in several blank American Apparel shirts, some tailored jcrew shirts, and a pair of quality raw denim jeans. What else should a senior in high school have in his wardrobe? Keeping in mind my budget is limited, I'd really appreciate any advice and recommendations you have regarding tops, bottoms, shoes, outerwear and eyewear.

Thanks!

Vaio

Reaction score
You can wear just about anything and look better then the average high school senior. Just follow the threads about college student dress and that should be fine.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Double breasted suits, pinstriping preferred with double-monks and a neatly pressed French cuff shirt

fungz0r

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Double breasted suits, pinstriping preferred with double-monks and a neatly pressed French cuff shirt

Don't forget pocket square

Psydelik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Exigence
I apologize if this thread is out of place and I should just come back when I am in college - but I'd really appreciate some advice on expanding my wardrobe in order to: create a more matured look to match my demeanor, prepare for the transition into college, as well as to stand out as someone who cares about his appearance among hoards of guys who wear unfitted tshirts with athletic shorts each day.

Currently, I usually wear vintage shirts, polo or plaid shirts paired with darker Levi 514s and low-top dark blue Chuck Taylors. From what I've read, I should invest in several blank American Apparel shirts, some tailored jcrew shirts, and a pair of quality raw denim jeans. What else should a senior in high school have in his wardrobe? Keeping in mind my budget is limited, I'd really appreciate any advice and recommendations you have regarding tops, bottoms, shoes, outerwear and eyewear.

Thanks!

I'd say cop yourself a pair of JP's as they are much better looking than standard chucks. If you can, get one in white and another in black to have a little more versatility. Invest in a great entry level pair of raw denim, such as APC, or Naked & Famous for quality raw denim at an extremely affordable price. I'd say also buy a hoodie or two from Alternative Apparel or American Apparel, as they both make decent hoodies for a pretty good price. Keep your button-ups slim fitting and keep it simple at first, ie. buy a blue oxford and a white oxford to get you started. Ditch the graphic t-shirts and buy a bucket-load of white and black t-shirts. I know that all of that is quite boring, but I can guarantee you'll look 10x better than everyone in your grade. Remember you don't have to go all-out at first. A wardrobe consists of pieces that you've accumulated over a period of time, not all at once. Hope this helps.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a High School senior and I realize that the Styleforum dress is not too appropriate for high school because it either makes you look boring or people will ask you "why are you dressed like that"

I would second the raw denim suggestion and I like the Jack Purcells as well but they're not necessary. If you have the money I would buy a pair of Common Projects White Achilles Lows. If boat shoes are your thing (because that's 'trendy') then get a pair of Sperry Topsiders (but only the Authentic Original! Everything else looks tacky).

Don't just wear white and black American Apparel t-shirts. If you wear graphic t-shirts make it tasteful if that makes sense. The graphic t-shirts I wear are either some school t-shirts that I would wear to sporting events or spirit days, some graphic t-shirts from Uniqlo, or Golden State Warriors t-shirts because they're my favorite sports team. If you're going to wear Polos, Ralph Lauren (custom fit) or Lacoste polos do the trick. The key is to just get the plain and simple colors because there is less of a chance for you to look back at it and regret it.

Just a minor detail but don't wear white socks. I don't even wear white socks when I'm doing sports. White socks don't go well with anything.

For outerwear I have a few Uniqlo hoodies (if that counts) and a North Face jacket. Yea a North Face jacket but it's practical, it goes with everything (but doesn't look good with everything) and it keeps you warm.

For eyewear just try and stick to the classics. Try the Ray Ban Aviators, Wayfarer or Clubmaster and see which one looks best on you.

Psydelik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
I'm a High School senior and I realize that the Styleforum dress is not too appropriate for high school because it either makes you look boring or people will ask you "why are you dressed like that"

I would second the raw denim suggestion and I like the Jack Purcells as well but they're not necessary. If you have the money I would buy a pair of Common Projects White Achilles Lows. If boat shoes are your thing (because that's 'trendy') then get a pair of Sperry Topsiders (but only the Authentic Original! Everything else looks tacky).

Don't just wear white and black American Apparel t-shirts. If you wear graphic t-shirts make it tasteful if that makes sense. The graphic t-shirts I wear are either some school t-shirts that I would wear to sporting events or spirit days, some graphic t-shirts from Uniqlo, or Golden State Warriors t-shirts because they're my favorite sports team. If you're going to wear Polos, Ralph Lauren (custom fit) or Lacoste polos do the trick. The key is to just get the plain and simple colors because there is less of a chance for you to look back at it and regret it.

Just a minor detail but don't wear white socks. I don't even wear white socks when I'm doing sports. White socks don't go well with anything.

For outerwear I have a few Uniqlo hoodies (if that counts) and a North Face jacket. Yea a North Face jacket but it's practical, it goes with everything (but doesn't look good with everything) and it keeps you warm.

For eyewear just try and stick to the classics. Try the Ray Ban Aviators, Wayfarer or Clubmaster and see which one looks best on you.

I'll second the CP Achilles recommendation. It's really the best go-with-everything sneaker. You could dress them up or down depending on your mood. I'd say also buy yourself a W+H hoodie, or an RC hoodie, as they are both extremely nice and well-made and reasonably priced. I also wouldn't worry too much about what people say. I get flak all the time for spending so much money on clothes and for looking the way I do. Brush it off as most of the time, people just don't understand, so they just condemn you.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Im the equivalent of a high school senior and I pretty much wear a pair of APC PS, a pair of boots and a uniqlo t shirt everyday. I just have tonnes of great outerwear, knits and shirts to wear over it, but most of it would be unaffordable at a high school budget. From what I've read you can't dress that strange in highschool in the US, but I wear some runway **** to sixth form and I don't get **** about it.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just go to abercrombie & fitch, and have a field day. Or instead dress head to toe in gareth pugh.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
I think Im the equivalent of a high school senior and I pretty much wear a pair of APC PS, a pair of boots and a uniqlo t shirt everyday. I just have tonnes of great outerwear, knits and shirts to wear over it, but most of it would be unaffordable at a high school budget. From what I've read you can't dress that strange in highschool in the US, but I wear some runway **** to sixth form and I don't get **** about it.

I thought you were just in University a little early?

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No I'm in my last year of sixth form, which is the equivalent of the last 2 years of high school. I was moved up a year though, should only be in my first year.

ZhiMingBuFanDe

Reaction score
If you live near an Uniqlo, kop there, and I would get some CP's.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't think he really needs cps in high school. They're pretty boring shoes and no one will look twice at them. I don't really understand cps, maybe if you have money and want a pair of nice sneakers you can appreciate. I know this is what everyone says but you just want to get laid in high school and no one gives a **** about $300 White lows, I can understand it if you have money to blow, but in high school you probably don't.

dave333

Reaction score
Just have some subtle differences. V neck t shirts, slimmer shirts, skinnier jeans/pants, nicer shoes, well fitting pea coats, etc. are all you need to look way better than everyone else. Don't go over the top (like wearing dress shoes, slacks, and crap).

When you go to prom, go to H&M or something and buy a slim black suit/blazer whatever instead of renting some crap. Get a bow tie, a pocket square, some decent shoes, etc. and you'll look way better than everyone else, and it'll be cheaper.

J. Crew, H&M, Uniqlo, American Eagle, A&F, etc. are all totally acceptable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads