• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How should a gentleman act during the coronavirus outbreak?

Kevin Peters 1

Reaction score
Given all the fine gentlemen in this forum, I wanted to shoot this question to you all. Given the current coronavirus outbreak, how should a gentleman now act in a social environment. If I have a colleague who has travelled to an affected country, it is socially acceptable for a gentleman to decline his offer of a handshake?

I came across this article that raised the question and am genuinely curious what everyone thinks.

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Unless they were in Hubei I should think refusing a handshake would be pretty rude.

928S4

Reaction score
I'll just react to the situations. I lived through the Polio epidemic when it hit my neighbourhood and even my own household hard. I'll live through this year's version of the Asian sniffles too...

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to guzzle a bottle of wine, Uber down to Walmart, then wander around drunk while hacking and coughing.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in HKG at the end of January and thought things were a bit extreme - 90%+ of people wearing masks, hand sanitizer everywhere and the airport express and airport itself very quiet. Now returning from Germany...had to spend a small fortune to change my flight back to the US from Sat to Fri to be in advance of the travel ban. Even as a US citizen, I’m anticipating that staying any later would’ve resulted in substantial delays getting home if not potential quarantine. The situation is so dynamic that we just have to move as quickly as we can to ensure our own health and safety, of course with that of our own family’s and risk presented to the public.

How should a gentleman act? That doesn’t change - be courteous and kind. Understand that others may be under stress during such uncertainty.

TeaAndOranges

Reaction score
Lol, do not follow any of the advice in this thread. Be a gentlemen, be conscious, do not risk getting other's sick. It would be rather impolite to unknowingly spread a disease. Follow the advice of the CDC. A gentlemen always admits when he is out of his field of knowledge, and should resort to the advice of professionals. An aged grouch ignores professionals at risk of his own "coolness". If you are in a quarantined city (as I am currently) stay home, have a few glasses of scotch, play the latest Boston Symphony record, and read a book. Or write a book, whichever you fancy.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just give the old lady some of the toilet paper you've stacked up in your cart.

EddieK

Reaction score
Lol, do not follow any of the advice in this thread. Be a gentlemen, be conscious, do not risk getting other's sick. It would be rather impolite to unknowingly spread a disease. Follow the advice of the CDC. A gentlemen always admits when he is out of his field of knowledge, and should resort to the advice of professionals. An aged grouch ignores professionals at risk of his own "coolness". If you are in a quarantined city (as I am currently) stay home, have a few glasses of scotch, play the latest Boston Symphony record, and read a book. Or write a book, whichever you fancy.
This. This is a what "a gentleman" should do. They're considerate of others and humble enough to listen to the experts. All experts (those that study pandemics, epidemics, and viruses) are saying this is a huge problem. Nothing like other epidemics we've had for a long time. With that in mind, a true gentleman would listen to their advice and be considerate of others during this time. That would mean practicing social distancing and not downplaying this, because other people's lives are at stake as well as theirs.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be steadfast, patient and understanding when required.

Kindness to self and others. Good manners go a long way.

Humour is essential along a well stocked cellar and larder.

Above all share the TV/Cable remote.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.