How should a dress shirt fit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by f00kie, Jul 4, 2007.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I don't know if it's the fit or the way he's wearing the shirt in that photo, but the little over-hanging cloth is what bothers me.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Walk around GS, Blackstone, Brown Bros.
    Off-topic but what a strange collection of names... Somehow, one of them looks out of place

3. TCN

TCN Senior member

Off-topic but what a strange collection of names... Somehow, one of them looks out of place

One of these is not like the other . . .

Just what was in my newspaper today, plus all have private equity capabilities and have a color in their name.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

ahem... okay

5. Willsw

Willsw Senior member

Sleeves a little long on the Jantzen?

6. f00kie

f00kie Member

So, from the above picture of the man in the white shirt, it looks like the chest area is quite tight. I do like how that looks, so... is the shirt roughly 4" bigger than the actual chest measurement (i.e. 36" becomes 40")?

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Kabbaz and Shirtmaven have each posted that the standard way to make a shirt is to measure a guy's actual chest, waist and hips and then add 5", 6", and 5" (respectively) to the true measurement. That results in a trim but not tight shirt. That Jantzen looks a bit trimmer than that.

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Kabbaz and Shirtmaven have each posted that the standard way to make a shirt is to measure a guy's actual chest, waist and hips and then add 5", 6", and 5" (respectively) to the true measurement. That results in a trim but not tight shirt. That Jantzen looks a bit trimmer than that.
    Matuozzo takes a solid inch off of each of those measurements.

9. Jared

Jared Senior member

[​IMG]
    Counting buttons from the top: 1 (unbuttoned), 2 (buttoned), 3, 4, ... Notice how the edge of the left side of the shirt (which would be the placket if there were one) is slightly concave between the 3rd and 4th buttons? I would say that the chest is a touch too tight. If the folds don't go away in the armpits after pressing, that would also confirm this. The extra fabric around the waist is partially unavoidable and partially due to how the shirt is tucked in. I find myself readjusting my tuck throughout the day...

10. ms244

ms244 Senior member

How would one go about determining the shoulder measurements?

11. HappymaN

HappymaN Senior member

I don't know if it's the fit or the way he's wearing the shirt in that photo, but the little over-hanging cloth is what bothers me.

Did your Matuozzo (sp.?) shirts come in yet?

12. itskub

itskub Senior member

if youre trying to go for the dress shirt fit that gq featured few months ago, avoiding any bunching up, i dont think its very possible. (the models were probably using pins and not moving too much.) the only way to avoid it is wearing shirts nearly skin tight- which isnt good either,
    this is one shirt i have i posted in waywt thread , though ive kinda reconsidered it... heh. (btw its what i occasionally wore to work as a waiter)
    http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/7500/pictureac0.jpg

13. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

if youre trying to go for the dress shirt fit that gq featured few months ago, avoiding any bunching up, i dont think its very possible. (the models were probably using pins and not moving too much.) the only way to avoid it is wearing shirts nearly skin tight- which isnt good either,
    this is one shirt i have i posted in waywt thread , though ive kinda reconsidered it... heh. (btw its what i occasionally wore to work as a waiter)
    http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/7500/pictureac0.jpg

that's at least 2 inches too small

14. VMan

VMan Senior member

Let me identify myself as the owner of the white Jantzen.

I work for myself and have no need to wear dress shirts, ties, or tailored clothing.

Therefore, this shirt is more for casual/social wear - I would wear it with a slim suit for a night out.

If it were a business shirt, I would get a little more allowance in the upper chest. I will probably do so in future orders. I am starting to gain some additional upper-body muscle, so it will be a good idea.

There is a little excess material at the waist, but I think mostly it is just a sloppy tuck. Also I taper from a 40" chest to 31" waist, so it's much better than anything I could find OTR. Especially with a ~17" collar.

15. Jared

Jared Senior member

Thanks for coming forward, VMan, I was a little uncomfortable criticizing someone behind their back. [​IMG] The shirt is very close to perfect. Certainly good enough for Jantzen prices and obviously better than any OTR. The problem with gaining muscle suggests that more expensive shirts should be cut slightly looser so you don't lose your investment. [​IMG]