• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How should a brand new loafer fit?

yunBW

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchase JMW 180 and it's been a while I own and wear a pair of loafer. So I'm slightly uncertain about the fit of my loafer.

I purchased a size 7D, the fit is snug and slight tighter on the vamp area of the loafer. My main concern is the slight heel slippage when wearing it, where time to time a 1/4-1/2 of my heel would slip up when walking. I'm not sure if that's something normal when trying a new loafer or it indicates I need to size down half a size? Also, the inner heel of the loafer is putting pressure to my heel, is that a normal thing as well?

Thank you!
667E5C01-8EA3-454C-8B27-9E26C0E65E71.jpeg

the heel slip when walking
13B86483-4BE7-4BE3-A6AD-6C474EA5E621.jpeg

how normally it should sit.

Attachments

• 9D2B9F21-90E0-428A-BAED-D09FB7C6B600.jpeg
    9D2B9F21-90E0-428A-BAED-D09FB7C6B600.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 159

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be worried that is too much - they are only ever going to get looser. I have a pair of G&G loafers in traded for on the buy and sell forum here - in a 10uk, they were as tight as a drum, and I was able to trade them for a pair in 10.5. Years on, that 10.5 pair is about a quarter size too big, and I periodically say to myself whilst wearing them "I really should look into tongue pads for these to try to cut the volume down". So, I'd be hesitant to buy another pair on that last - it's like I need a quarter size.

You may need to try down a half size, or that last may not just be for you

yunBW

Reaction score
I'd be worried that is too much - they are only ever going to get looser. I have a pair of G&G loafers in traded for on the buy and sell forum here - in a 10uk, they were as tight as a drum, and I was able to trade them for a pair in 10.5. Years on, that 10.5 pair is about a quarter size too big, and I periodically say to myself whilst wearing them "I really should look into tongue pads for these to try to cut the volume down". So, I'd be hesitant to buy another pair on that last - it's like I need a quarter size.

You may need to try down a half size, or that last may not just be for you
Thanks for the reply.

I used to have a loafer from CS but I felt it never gotten that much looser after it have broken in. was your GG Loafer lined? So I assume that my JMW will width get much looser with wear and might cause more heel slippage due the 1 cm gap between my feet and shoes?

I will order a half size down and see the fit between 6.5 and 7

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GG is lined. I have had them a *long* time - I did the trade back in 2014, and at the time, I had no regrets - I felt like I definitely needed the extra room as the 10 was perilously close to my toes. I now basically feel like I need a quarter size.

I'd also call out that in your photo, your socks have a bit of heft to them - are those the normal width of the socks you'd expect to wear? If you are going to wear anything thinner, the slippage would be exacerbated

yunBW

Reaction score
The GG is lined. I have had them a *long* time - I did the trade back in 2014, and at the time, I had no regrets - I felt like I definitely needed the extra room as the 10 was perilously close to my toes. I now basically feel like I need a quarter size.

I'd also call out that in your photo, your socks have a bit of heft to them - are those the normal width of the socks you'd expect to wear? If you are going to wear anything thinner, the slippage would be exacerbated
I usually wear boots and sneakers, so I often wear thicker socks. I just tried with thinner socks, but the heel slip is not much compared with the thicker sock. Do you think heel gripper or tongue pad might solve/help the heel slip?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually wear boots and sneakers, so I often wear thicker socks. I just tried with thinner socks, but the heel slip is not much compared with the thicker sock. Do you think heel gripper or tongue pad might solve/help the heel slip?

I’ve always had trouble fitting into loafers. It’s why I don’t have as many in my rotation as other footwear.

the heel bed will give and that will help. A tongue pad will help push your foot back a bit as well. Try that, there’s no harm in doing so.

yunBW

Reaction score
I’ve always had trouble fitting into loafers. It’s why I don’t have as many in my rotation as other footwear.

the heel bed will give and that will help. A tongue pad will help push your foot back a bit as well. Try that, there’s no harm in doing so.
By heel bed are you referring to heel gripper that you stick on the heel of the loafer? I felt tongue pad might be too snuggles for my feet since it’s already snug

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love JM Weston 180s, but could never get a good fit. It is a difficult last to fit, IMO.

This is not what you want to hear, but you should visit a JM Weston shop and get fitted for a pair. If you can't get a good fit, move on to something else. That is exactly what I did.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By heel bed are you referring to heel gripper that you stick on the heel of the loafer? I felt tongue pad might be too snuggles for my feet since it’s already snug

heel bed as in where your heel sits in the shoe. It will give to form per your particular contours.

yunBW

Reaction score
I love JM Weston 180s, but could never get a good fit. It is a difficult last to fit, IMO.

This is not what you want to hear, but you should visit a JM Weston shop and get fitted for a pair. If you can't get a good fit, move on to something else. That is exactly what I did.
Unfortunately the JMW store in NYC is permanently close a few weeks ago closed and no retailers carry them in the US.
Maybe in the future I visit Europe or japan, but that feels like gonna take forever

coldbrew

Reaction score
It should feel snug and you can still walk around in them without any pain.

Based on my experience, if it doesn't fit from the start, it's not likely to fit after the 'break-in' period (The shoes are not going to magically go one size up after a few months of wearing).

Unlined loafers would loosen up quicker and expand slightly more than the lined ones, though.

yunBW

Reaction score
It should feel snug and you can still walk around in them without any pain.

Based on my experience, if it doesn't fit from the start, it's not likely to fit after the 'break-in' period (The shoes are not going to magically go one size up after a few months of wearing).

Unlined loafers would loosen up quicker and expand slightly more than the lined ones, though.
Thanks, my size 7 fits snug when I tried on without any pain, but I’m having a slight heel slip (seen in pic) when walking so I don’t know if I should size half size down or it is normal to have some heel slip when trying on new loafers

coldbrew

Reaction score
Thanks, my size 7 fits snug when I tried on without any pain, but I’m having a slight heel slip (seen in pic) when walking so I don’t know if I should size half size down or it is normal to have some heel slip when trying on new loafers
A slight heel slip is acceptable IMO, as your feet will generally expand slightly after walking for a bit. I think sizing half size down is not a good idea!

Hope it helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads