• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How should a 23 year old dress?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
... underwear, socks ...

Thebomb85019

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
I think that's a fantastic idea as a fellow new member. Just lay out some simple, basics that one should have in their wardrobe to get them started...jeans, basics, 2 or so pairs of shoes, pair of boots, coat, etc, etc. Also, it would be advantageous to lay out some GOOD designers such as:

Raw Denim-Flathead, Iron Heart, APC
Basic T's-J Crew, AA
Shoes-Converse or Vans

(of course that's very broad, just giving an example)

You know just something easy like that. It would answer SOOO many 'Help me get started' threads....

The problem with that is clothing starts becoming a uniform. Even within styleforum, there are so many different styles, one can find the one he likes and run with it.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwonger06
The problem with that is clothing starts becoming a uniform. Even within styleforum, there are so many different styles, one can find the one he likes and run with it.

Yeah, that makes a valid point too.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwonger06
There are a handful of truly different styles, the rest is variation. I don't think this is a bad thing though, the best art has come from tweaking a well-established structure. Styles on SW & Denim: Bleeding edge fashion Rockabilly/Biker Mod/Skinhead Lumberjack Hipster Prep Probably a few more, but for a noob, it's easy. Choose one (or more) and play with it.

pandamonium

Reaction score
I think the trick to keeping a WTW (what to wear) thread under control is setting price-points and listing several options for purchase. I wouldn't mind helping make a thread like this, but the trick is to keep the number of options limited, or else it's just too overwhelming. The poll function could help us do this.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
How many times can we possibly go through this?

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the thing is that people just need to get the basics of fit and simple styles so they can branch off on their own.

Styleforum fixed me (without asking any questions and just reading **** on my part, mind you) and saved me from turning into a trash bag wearing diesel jeans, armani exchange, and gaudy pumas. Instead I turned into a trash bag wearing selvage denim, w+h, and shiny common projects. Once a trash bag always a trash bag.

If you take the styleforum aesthetic as law or something to "shoot for" that's pretty wrong. You should use this place as information and inspiration to develop a unique you. I'd be lying if I said I'm "there" but I'm sure 100x happier with the way I dress than I was a year ago when I joined.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
Styles on SW & Denim:

Bleeding edge fashion
Rockabilly/Biker
Mod/Skinhead
Lumberjack
Hipster
Prep

Probably a few more, but for a noob, it's easy. Choose one (or more) and play with it.

Do we have any "Rockabilly/Bikers" here?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
There are a handful of truly different styles, the rest is variation. I don't think this is a bad thing though, the best art has come from tweaking a well-established structure.

Styles on SW & Denim:

Bleeding edge fashion
Rockabilly/Biker
Mod/Skinhead
Lumberjack
Hipster
Prep

Probably a few more, but for a noob, it's easy. Choose one (or more) and play with it.

WTF is "bleeding edge fashion" is that dressing in full RO like socal?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Threads like this turn out like wegthesam's latest waywts and other members fits and general posts

"I bought the expensive gitman/epaulet shirts you told me to, the expensive selvage jeans and red wing boots. I did everything you said, how come i'm not suddenly superstylish?"

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Threads like this turn out like wegthesam's latest waywts and other members fits and general posts

"I bought the expensive gitman/epaulet shirts you told me to, the expensive selvage jeans and red wing boots. I did everything you said, how come i'm not suddenly superstylish?"

I did the first two : (

Haha, I've been getting compliments though!

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These topics are always horrible. It's always some noob wanting to spend a ton of money, and they always buy anything they hear is popular here. Usually they say "I'm starting over from scratch" like they have no individuality or personal taste.

splattered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
These topics are always horrible. It's always some noob wanting to spend a ton of money, and they always buy anything they hear is popular here. Usually they say "I'm starting over from scratch" like they have no individuality or personal taste.

I grew up wearing hand me downs and anything cheap my parents were willing to buy... there has to be some education along the way for some people before they can even begin to have an idea and this place is great for that. It doesn't have anything to do with individuality or personal taste... its just a matter of education and experimentation imo

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics