• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How should a 23 year old dress?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I say just go to your local mall and buy regurgitated americana fashion.

Funny, I was going to suggest he PM you for suggestions, but I figured you'd get around to him on your own in short order!

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by botfc
1200CAD is actually around 1100US

read the paper moar?

CAD and USD are very close to par - again!

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
Its people like him that make me not take arts phds very seriously. Also met a "fashion sociology" phd from tokyo in montreal. rofl..

Ha, yeah, it's the kind of bullshit thing I wrote for my undergrad rhetoric classes. I did a paper once on the socio/political/cultural meanings in album cover art.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
If your desire to fit in with people your age, you will need to make a shopping list of the following:

- All over graphic tees
- Hoodies with a sewn-on eagle somewhere
- Ripped, light, pre-distressed jeans
- Striped polo with a number 47 on it
- Rope necklace
- "Humor" tees

Also, Ed Hardy!

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Honestly, I would have been embarrassed to ask this question when I was 23. I have to give the OP cred for asking it, but by this age, I'd pretty much figured out what I wanted to wear and what I didn't, and admitting to anyone that I didn't know how to dress myself would have been like asking my mom what beer I should buy.

bigboy

Reaction score
Or where to stick it.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not quite that embarrassing.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus... It's not that f-king hard.

Browse WAYWT, read threads that you find interesting (pay attention to those related to fit and quality), shop around online and in-person, try stuff on, buy clothes, repeat.

Stop asking other people to do the work for you. No one can tell you what will look good on you, at least not accurately. If this is a matter of whether a young guy can pull off a "dressy" look, just pay attention to the people around and wear what feels comfortable.

Yeesh.

... If all else fails, just dress like a lumberjack.

Doin' Fine.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
i'm 23. sweatpants, leather jackets with hi top sneakers. i love it and want more of the same

What sweatpants are wearing? Been looking for a solid pair.

Midget Thunderdome

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84

... If all else fails, just dress like a lumberjack.

Tooooo Late
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Robert
Honestly, I would have been embarrassed to ask this question when I was 23. I have to give the OP cred for asking it, but by this age, I'd pretty much figured out what I wanted to wear and what I didn't, and admitting to anyone that I didn't know how to dress myself would have been like asking my mom what beer I should buy.

I figure better to ask at 23 than keep dressing like a dick forever...

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a look at what looks good on other guys, then emulate that.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get it. I'm the first to say that people need to follow their own style and that threads like this are stupid, but why does everyone think it's necessary to jump on the unfunny StyleForum meme bandwagon and write this ****? I will never understand you guys.

pandamonium

Reaction score
You'll need some nice jeans. My go-to pair are Nudie Slim Jims (180)
You'll need two or three pairs of shoes: one or two should be boots or chukkas. My current infatuation are my Alden 405 (Indy Boots): (approx 700-800 for all three)
You'll need some shirts, which is really up to you. Now that it's getting colder outside I'm wearing more and more flannel (like J Crews FW09 stuff): 70-80 per shirt
You'll need one or two jackets/coats. One should be good, hardy wool. You're looking at 200-300 per.

I think this should get you at your budget. This is just the basics, though, stuff you'll need for everyday. Of course, as everyone else says, try to shape your own style, these are just items that most people have as their basics.

Inficius

Reaction score
Yep Midget Thunderdome, I'm in the same situation as you. My suggestion is to watch some movies that feature people your age, see what they wear, and then consider how it would look on yourself. For example: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I watched it last week, and decided that I liked his pants, which were pretty much standard gray dress pants like these: http://us.dockers.com/product/index....ductId=3755221 Paired with a leopard print vest and leather jacket. Now, I don't think I could pull off the vest, but the pants should be easy. In any case, I can still wear them to work. Since I only wear jeans, the pants would be a big change to my personal style. Paired with nice sneakers and a decent (Polo?) shirt, I think it would work well for the casual- yet sophisticated college student. Anyways, post your opinions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads