1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How seriously do you take style and clothing?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Reading SF for a few years now, I've come to realize there are some guys here that seem like they would slit your throat for wearing a tie the wrong way, and others who simply don't care too much (just enough to look better than the next guy). So, where are you in that regard?

2. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Think I'm mostly in the second camp, although I'm becoming aware of the unconscious ways clothing had been affecting my perception.

3. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

It's a hobby, albeit one that I enjoy. I may debate about the finer points of some elements more than others, but I believe that once you get militant about it, you stop enjoying it. This is also one of the reasons that I am hesitant to participate in the WAYWRN thread. While I've several outfits that I enjoy (and ones that I'd say are certainly SF approved), I am not necessarily sure I care enough about the opinions of the vast majority on SF. At the end of the day, those of us who are on SF are narcissistic and vain to an extent. And that brings with a certain type of persona more so than a forum that discusses, shall we say, gardening. Outside of discussions that are genuinely interesting (e.g. Manton on business casual or Vox on the multi-fold tie), I have learned to steer clear of the argumentative ones. Or at least stop at posting pictures of attractive women and snarky comments. [​IMG] For one, I do not know enough. And for another, even when I do, I do not care enough. They are only clothes, after all. [​IMG]

4. Raralith

Raralith Senior member

I like clothing and I do spend time on deciding what to buy and wear as this is all hard earned discressionary income. I also like to be knowledgable in the field like all the things I do in life whether it is something as complicated as my wife (flowers, Apple products, not being mean to her) or job (talk shit but be nice about it, bribe people with food) , or a hobby like cigars (to much to list). That being said, I know most people I interact with don't care much for clothing, and since I am a rather friendly individual, I care more on how well you can hold a conversation than your clothing style. Don't get me wrong, first impressions do count so I do notice and commented on clothing, but I like to "shoot the shit" as they say. My vote went to "a good bit."

5. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

It's a hobby, albeit one that I enjoy.
    I may debate about the finer points of some elements more than others, but I believe that once you get militant about it, you stop enjoying it.

This is also one of the reasons that I am hesitant to participate in the WAYWRN thread. While I've several outfits that I enjoy (and ones that I'd say are certainly SF approved), I am not necessarily sure I care enough about the opinions of the vast majority on SF.

At the end of the day, those of us who are on SF are narcissistic and vain to an extent. And that brings with a certain type of persona more so than a forum that discusses, shall we say, gardening. Outside of discussions that are genuinely interesting (e.g. Manton on business casual or Vox on the multi-fold tie), I have learned to steer clear of the argumentative ones. Or at least stop at posting pictures of attractive women and snarky comments. [​IMG]

For one, I do not know enough. And for another, even when I do, I do not care enough. They are only clothes, after all. [​IMG]

+1. RSS put it quite well in the Rubinacci thread:

Of course not. In the grand scheme of things ... clothing is relatively minor from my point of view. That is probably why I enjoy talking about clothes ... doing so takes my mind off things that are ... well ... more pressing. It's a lesser form of meditation in the way it clears the mind.

6. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

How seriously do you take style and clothing?

Very

next question

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

8. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

This is exactly what happens when someone new posts on this forum. [​IMG]

9. landshark

landshark Senior member

Where is the miller high life + tailored clothing option?!

10. Knisse

Knisse Senior member

I cut off a toe everytime i lose an Ebay auction.

Besides that, its just a hobby that costs too much.

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I like clothing and try to look good most of the time, but there are days when I don't give a crap.

12. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

I agree with Metlin. I will appreciate and acknowledge another well dressed person (man or woman) but don't notice if others are not well dressed. It is only clothes after all.

Except recently a co-worker wore his one rumpled suit with hiking boots and I almost suggested he buy dress shoes...does that make me a snob?

13. acecow

acecow Senior member

I'm between 2 and 3, since I could argue about pant color with another man, but only because it's a hobby I enjoy. I don't sweat too much if I'm stuck wearing an old t-shirt outside the house.

14. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

I cut off a toe everytime i lose an Ebay auction.

Besides that, its just a hobby that costs too much.

[​IMG]

15. Merlino

Merlino Senior member

does that make me a snob?

Did you pity the fool?

16. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

I take clothing very seriously. This forum, even more so.

In fact, every time I read the word "slim" I have to pop another Librium.

17. Daseinflaw

Daseinflaw Senior member

Who here wants to argue about sock color?

18. Raralith

Raralith Senior member

Who here wants to argue about sock color?

I actually have argued about that before since I find that very important. SRSLY!

19. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

I'd vote for 4, except for the won't talk to anybody bit.

I like trying to dress well, and I like getting compliments. But:

(a) while I probably do give extra points to people who dress well (mega extra points for women);
    (b) and I don't doubt that I react less well to people who dress badly,
    (c) they are only clothes. Really.

20. pauliec

pauliec Well-Known Member

I enjoy dressing nicely, coordinating colors and matching patterns. As a grad student I usually wear jeans but relish the opportunity to wear a suit. Even while wearing jeans I like to think I'm miles ahead of any ol' lout in faded jeans and a t shirt. I take care in my appearance; I believe in always putting my best foot forward.