• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How resiliant are leather soled boots?

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im buying a pair of cheaper boots this fall (Less than 200 CAD), and Im trying to decide between leather and rubber soled. I know leather is an obvious choice, but I'm worried how it will stand up with the cheaper construction Ill probably be getting. I live on the east-coast of Canada, so there will be plenty of snow, rain, slush and salt for me to deal with. Right now Im going to a rather rural university, and theres several ungroomed dirt/rock trails I have to take daily. After this year, Im moving to Toronto, and if I got rubber soled boots, I have no idea to how they would look in that area...

Anyway, Thanks for any advice!

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
Im buying a pair of cheaper boots this fall (Less than 200 CAD), and Im trying to decide between leather and rubber soled. I know leather is an obvious choice, but I'm worried how it will stand up with the cheaper construction Ill probably be getting. I live on the east-coast of Canada, so there will be plenty of snow, rain, slush and salt for me to deal with. Right now Im going to a rather rural university, and theres several ungroomed dirt/rock trails I have to take daily. After this year, Im moving to Toronto, and if I got rubber soled boots, I have no idea to how they would look in that area...

Anyway, Thanks for any advice!

I dont think a leather sole in any price range is the choice for such conditions. Get a pair of rubber sole (dainite would be great), but look for a pair that could be repaired in the long run. I always angle the heel, so, I tend to avoid the "one piece" soles.

BTW, if you are a US 9-9.5, check my sig. I have a pair of boots for sale that might interest you.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Defintely go for the rubber soles in a wet, snowy environment. If not for that, I would say go with the superior leather.

LordWanker

Reaction score
I've lived in Toronto for 44 years. Unless you can afford a chauffeur to drive you around ( I keed!), rubber/synthetic soles for the win. If you insist on leather, then invest in a pair of galoshes.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dainite is as good as leather sole imo

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Atleast cover your leather soles with rubber and proof them with beeswax. Otherwise, rubber makes way more sense for that climate.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any chance you're going to Mount Allison?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
dainite is as good as leather sole imo
I have both dainite and commando sole boots for winter well. They wear well, and look fine IMO.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Any chance you're going to Mount Allison?
Hahaha.... no, but its close and one of our main rivals. My dad went there in fact, and I've got several friends there right now. I go to St. Francis Xavier. Edit: And how does someone from Minneapolis know of it??

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha.... no, but its close and one of our main rivals. My dad went there in fact, and I've got several friends there right now. I go to St. Francis Xavier. Edit: And how does someone from Minneapolis know of it??
I'm from Burnaby, BC. Graduated from Mount A in '08. Going to law school in the US (in the middle of transferring away from Minnesota though). Are you sure rubber soled shoes will match your precious "X Ring"?
tongue.gif

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahha..... Hey man, you can try to insult our school all you want, but dont touch the Ring. Only 120 days and 14 hours till I get mine.... (Ive had the facebook countdown going for nearly 2 years). Its rumoured to be the 3rd most recognizable ring in the world (papal and NFL in the first 2 seats...

Any chance you knew the girls from Hunton? One of my friends was the prez either last year or the year before.

And STU is starting a "T" ring.......

XRING.jpg

Beauty........

Though back to the original post, does anyone have any experience with Rockport? Ive found a few decent looking boots by them. Any comments on quality?

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though back to the original post, does anyone have any experience with Rockport? Ive found a few decent looking boots by them. Any comments on quality?

Rockports are good value for the money if you can get'em with discount, but the majority have one piece soles (rubber soles), so, repair is tricky (and maybe worthless). Check on amazon for good prices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics