• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How realistic is wanting to be a "fashion designer"

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like a lot of kids, I loved to draw growing up. Occasionally I'd say I wanted to become a fashion designer. Once I got to high school I discarded that idea as being "unrealistic."

But, there are real-live fashion designers. How did they get there? Do they really go to a handful of those 'fashion institutes'? Is there a 4 year degree in fashion design? Can you actually get a paying job?

I suppose the bulk of "fashion designers" work in-house at GAP, Abercrombie, Hollister, Victoria's Secret, Target, Ralph Lauren, etc etc designing stuff, which their buyers will then give to factories in Asia to copy, and sell in malls across America. Is it pure luck to be the next Tom Ford (or Thom Browne)?

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go talk to people, make them like you, talk to more, make them think you can do something worthwhile, talk to more people, make them think you can make money for them, talk to even more people, make them think their lives will be more fulfilling with you successful.

Somewhere along the way, draw something, or not, depending on how good you are at the first part. This is how you succeed in the cultural arts.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I guess Get Smart is sort of like SF's own Ralph Lauren. Maybe TaT will be sold in every mall department store in America in 30 years, and there will be a Thick as Thieves Mansion?

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Is it pure luck to be the next Thom Browne?
Judging by the last Thom Browne, I'd say yes.
devil.gif

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I know that one of the respected universities in Aus offers a four year degree in fashion design ... I've had friends that tried to get through it and couldn't make it ... apparently its one of the tougher degrees to do

jhao

Reaction score
Do you know someone that is already in the bussiness? do you have some kind of contacts to help you in the start?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I dated a girl that was a fashion designer and from her experience as well as her friends in the biz the route you'd most likely end up at is working for a licensee company since nearly everything is sub'd out to smaller companies that make it for the larger one. She worked designing "Tommy Bahama, Anne Klein, Liz Claiborne...." you get the idea.

you could always try out for Project Runway

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads