• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how picky are you guys?

T900

Reaction score
bought an OTR blazer and got the shop to alter it for me.

the right sleeve came back 0.25 inch longer than what i stated, while the left 0.5 inch longer. hence, i end up showing a little cuff on the right, and no cuff at all on the left.

would you guys normally send it back under such circumstance?

and would you pay another round of alteration charge (alteration for the first round costs me US$30 given that i asked to shorten 1.25 inch from the sleeve head, and 0.75 inch from the sleeve end)?

Seriously, waiting for the end product (alteration) has been a pain for me; you never know how well/ bad it will turn out. you guys feel the same?

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Send it back. You shouldn't have to pay unless you're satisfied with the work IMO.

coogie

Reaction score
at least the sleeves are longer rather than shorter I would tell them to alter it to how you want it. I'm bloody impatient but you would look ridiculous showing cuff on one and not the other. Buy another suit for now while you wait
biggrin.gif
they won't/can't ask for an extra alteration charge. As they did not match your requirements. I would not sell you a banana and give you a lemon

DandySF

Reaction score
They didn't deliver what you expected, and what they committed to. They need to make it right. If it's their mistake, there should be no charge to correct it. I aim for perfection, but realize that with clothing it may take a few iterations to move it in that direction.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not even a grey area. Bring it back and do not settle until they have altered it to your satisfaction. Do not pay them any more money. You are paying their tailor to fit this jacket to your body. If it does not fit, he or she needs to make it right. If they insist on another charge, ask to see the manager and explain the above. Be polite but firm. If they still insist, tell them to take a good look at you because they will never see your face in their store again. Walk out and take the jacket to a tailor who knows what they are doing.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sent it back until they perfected their job.

Berticus

Reaction score
Shouldn't you have been allowed to try it on when you picked it up? That's the time when you can tell them their faults. Take it back and have them re-alter it for free.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T900
would you guys normally send it back under such circumstance?

Look, this is very simple - you can't walk around with two sleeves at weirdly different lengths!

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised this is even a question. You paid for a service, they need to provide it.

In the future, try it on in front of the tailor so that they can see how everything looks and make sure the alterations are correct. No reason to leave with the garment until it is to your specifications.

I had a relatively minor incident with my tailor once. I had purchased a suit, and took it to him (he always does very good work, so I don't let the in-store tailors do alterations anymore). He did everything, but simply forgot to take in the waist of the trousers. I showed him the safety pins and chalk marks as I was examining the "finished" work, and he was mortified. He had my trousers finished in about 3 hours. That is why I keep going back to him. He does good work, but when something bad happened, he found a way to correct the problem to my satisfaction, offered no excuses, only an apology and immediate correction.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Berticus
Shouldn't you have been allowed to try it on when you picked it up? That's the time when you can tell them their faults. Take it back and have them re-alter it for free.

Sounds like they didn't offer or you didn't ask at the time. Water under the bridge and either way, you should now take it back and politely ask that they do it properly at no additional charge.

If you're anything like me, trust me the pain of having to wait for the second alteration is nothing compared to otherwise stewing about it while going around in a jacket with two different sleeve lengths.

Siggy

Reaction score
Alterations tailors almost always leave the sleeves too long. You have to really pay attention and make sure they do it right. Any respectable place will do them again (and again) for free until you are happy. I have to take another suit jacket back and have them shorten the sleeves another quarter inch because I am PICKY.
smile.gif

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Berticus

Sometimes I even take my altered garments home, wear it for one full day to see how it settles before I bring them back to the tailor for fine tuning.

T900

Reaction score
Thanks all for the reply.

Back to the store it goes. I really don't like this alteration process; you never know if they will come back with something screwed e.g. attaching the sleeves such that the sleeve pitch is wrong.

Just to wrap up, this is one of the "fashion" houses, so not exactly top of the line, and by default, the work of the outsourced tailor can be erratic.

I did try in the store, but did not have the correct shirt on. Also, how can you tell if it is just a quarter of an inch different??? i needed to measure them at home to confirm it.
laugh.gif

Thanks again.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Am I the only one to tell you that you are being a bit picky?
I am amazed at the outrage of the people who have responded.
You have asked to shorten the sleeves 2" in a very complicated way.
if it was just shortened from the bottom then, they screwed up. but shortening from the top of the sleeve is not easy.

this sort of sleeve shortening job should not be trusted to some outsourced tailor. You should have had the sleeves shortened from the top. basted at the bottom. and then finished. expensive but better chance of sucess.

are you sure your shirt was sitting properly. are you sure the jacket was sitting properly on your shoulders?

you guys are such whiners!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads