• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How one's head relates to the collar and other affectations of style

J Simulcik

Reaction score
Like the title says. Hopefully in receiving answers here, and using my facade as an example, both others and myself can learn visually how head shape determines good-looking collar style, eyewear shape, etc.

My first shirt from Jantzen was chosen with a 'normal pointed' collar based on the head shape below. One of the comments made was that the points should end within the lapels of one's jacket. At first, I took this to mean that a wider collar should have been chosen. I have since concluded that a longer collar in the original shape would satisfy both arguments. Can anyone confirm this?

There are, however, many collar styles available. Which would be best for me, and why?

Another issue is eyewear. I am completely lost on how to choose properly shaped and sized glasses.

Especially feel free to draw, photoshop, post photographic examples, etc.

Aug1501.jpg

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Regular pointed collars should be fine
51mjsl2xgklsl500aa280ix6.jpg

Midnight Blue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Antonio Centeno
J Simulcik,

Based off the narrow head shape image above, I feel the best collar for you is a spread collar. With a long face, you want to counterbalance your narrow look with collar points that do not exacerbate this feature.

my thoughts exactly

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spread collar.

As for eyeglasses, the standard advice is to choose a frame shape that contrasts with the shape of your face. I'd mainly avoid anything with squared-off corners.

Darker, heavier frames work better with darker hair.

I prefer smaller glasses on everybody, though larger ones are fashionable in some circles now.

ozonemania

Reaction score
+1 on full spread. Your photo looks like it has a bit of a fish-eye effect to it, so I'm not sure what your shoulder width is, but you want to make sure your collar width (i.e. distance from collar band to collar tip) is proportionate to your body. And end in the lapels of your jacket, like you say.

Actually, with your head shape, you should be pretty versatile. You can wear most collar types fairly safely. It then becomes a matter of personal taste and style.

As for eyewear, I would stay away from plastic frames. If only for the reason that your wider bridge will make most plastic frames uncomfortable. Get eyewear that fits the width of your head. Doesn't look as good otherwise. As for lens shape, you have a long face which means you can probably wear a variety of shapes. But I would tend to stay away from square-shaped frames as your face is a bit rectangular.

J Simulcik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ozonemania
Your photo looks like it has a bit of a fish-eye effect to it, so I'm not sure what your shoulder width is, but you want to make sure your collar width (i.e. distance from collar band to collar tip) is proportionate to your body. And end in the lapels of your jacket, like you say.

Ozone, can you clarify what the comparison is between on the collar and the body? I'm thinking bigger collars on bigger shoulders/head, without going disco on it?

Yeah, the webcam does the fisheye thing, but I'm not bringing the good camera to the desert. I was hoping it would be good enough for people to get an idea of what I was asking. Once I am able to WAYWT, it'll be with the good one.
cool.gif

Thanks, everyone for the input.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

J Simulcik

Reaction score

ozonemania

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J Simulcik
Ozone, can you clarify what the comparison is between on the collar and the body? I'm thinking bigger collars on bigger shoulders/head, without going disco on it?

Yeah, the webcam does the fisheye thing, but I'm not bringing the good camera to the desert. I was hoping it would be good enough for people to get an idea of what I was asking. Once I am able to WAYWT, it'll be with the good one.
cool.gif

Thanks, everyone for the input.

Well I'm no expert, but yeah, you got the gist of it based on my own experience. If you wear a collar that is too wide in relation to your shoulder width, it will just overpower you. The disco example is a bit extreme as that's a point collar with long points. In a full spread collar, too wide would just look like too much collar, like two yacht sails under your chin.

Another thing to consider is the length of your neck. If you get too high collar on the neck, it just looks awkward.

I would try on a bunch of shirts and see which collar suits you best. Bring a measuring tape with you and measure the collar height (bottom of collar band to top), as well as the collar length (top of collar to collar point). Collar points and collar height are also important considerations when you wear a suit/odd jacket, so you might want to bring that along too. Hope this helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads